Clunking persists after new bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rally3

Reaction score
Everything comes down to cost
The bushings cost about 70-80 each, and they only pay maybe 1 hour beyond R&R of the arm, vs the $400 plus each arm costs (at dealer pricing)

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if JLR is paying, they'll want to pinch pennies, so you only get a new bushing. If you are paying, replacing the entire control arm makes more sense IMO - especially if the odo is on the high side, say 100kmi+. New ball joints are always a good idea with high miles, and complete OE/Genuine control arms are $250-$275 each from discount dealers with new ball joints & bushings... about the same labor either way.

(Yes, I know aftermarket LCA's are available for half that, but I've yet to see OEM units in that price range... and I've had bad experiences with Meyle and other off-brand parts.)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost certainly the swaybar bushings by your description. I'm surprised your dealer couldn't figure that out. I'd have them change those, and then maybe shop for a new mechanic (or dealership since you are under warranty).

The "transverse" part is the giveaway that it's the swaybar bushings and not the LCA bushings. If you want to test the LCA bushings yourself, idle along (like in a parking lot) and then briskly hit the brake pedal. You'll hear a "clunk" if the LCA bushings are shot. The swaybar bushings make a distinctly different sound (deeper in tone) and happen when weight is shifted from side-to-side.

Winston9932

Reaction score
Almost certainly the swaybar bushings by your description. I'm surprised your dealer couldn't figure that out. I'd have them change those, and then maybe shop for a new mechanic (or dealership since you are under warranty).

The "transverse" part is the giveaway that it's the swaybar bushings and not the LCA bushings. If you want to test the LCA bushings yourself, idle along (like in a parking lot) and then briskly hit the brake pedal. You'll hear a "clunk" if the LCA bushings are shot. The swaybar bushings make a distinctly different sound (deeper in tone) and happen when weight is shifted from side-to-side.

Thank you. Will relay and revert.

Rovershoppe

Reaction score
we have a 2015 Land Rover lr4 that has made a persistent clunking when traversing ramps or curbs at an angle. For example, if you pull out of our driveway that has about a six inch ramp drop to street, there is a clunk that seems to come from front. Dealer replaced front bushings under warranty, saying they had separated. LCA fine, as were tie rods.

We also own a 2016 LR4 and have owned two more prior - unique sound.

Any ideas?
They should have replaced the control arm assemblies. The new bushings rarely fit as tight as the originals due to the composition of the control arms.

Winston9932

Reaction score
Mystery solved...loose radiator core support. Bolts tightened and knock is gone.

AB1AA74E-02A5-4389-B54D-1B57D7DB9C39.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM