Considering a 2013 / 13 used LR4 - Advice please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njexpress

Reaction score
:help:
Hello,
I am probably resurfacing a question that has probably been raised endlessly. I apologize for the redundancy but the searches do not work very well.
I am looking to replace my M-Class that served me reasonably well for 10 years with a seven seater. I do not see specific issues being reported in the 2012/13s.
It certainly sounds better than the 2013 redesigned GL that still has issues and besides, after getting my Lotus Elise last year, I am really bitten by the english bug...
I feel there is a lot of stigma around Land Rovers per se but that is not particularly true on the 2012/13 LR4s. Do I have a scientific conclusion? No. But I am hoping you would all help me get as close to it ass possible.
Cheers!
--njexpress
:help:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the Elise. I was very close to getting one a few years ago. My wife has a Mini as well. I could have easily ended up with three British cars.

I agree. I think the LR4, while no Toyota, is much better than people recall LR's to be. My non-scientific observations are that the engine is very reliable. I'll let other with more experience chime in. After moths of waiting, I pick up my new LR4 in a day or two.

njexpress

Reaction score
Congrats on the Elise. I was very close to getting one a few years ago. My wife has a Mini as well. I could have easily ended up with three British cars.

I agree. I think the LR4, while no Toyota, is much better than people recall LR's to be. My non-scientific observations are that the engine is very reliable. I'll let other with more experience chime in. After moths of waiting, I pick up my new LR4 in a day or two.

Thank you, Quihote!
The first response is very reassuring! Thank you for the feedback. I am contemplating a test drive this week but no surprises there - You either love a truck or you dont :biggrin:
Yes, I will stay tuned for more input from the long time roveristi!
Correction on title: I mean 2012 OR 2013.

Cheers!
--njexpress

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 that I bought used in 2011. I had the same concerns about the LR brand. I must say, this truck has been relatively low maintenance. Aside from oil changes and new tires I haven't had to do a thing. That being said, owning one out of warranty still scares me, so I'm about to unload my 2010 and buy a new one...still deciding on 2013 vs. 2014. For what it's worth, I have no regrets and still love driving mine. It's so different than any other SUV on the market.

njexpress

Reaction score
I have a 2010 that I bought used in 2011. I had the same concerns about the LR brand. I must say, this truck has been relatively low maintenance. Aside from oil changes and new tires I haven't had to do a thing. That being said, owning one out of warranty still scares me, so I'm about to unload my 2010 and buy a new one...still deciding on 2013 vs. 2014. For what it's worth, I have no regrets and still love driving mine. It's so different than any other SUV on the market.

Wow! Not even brake pads and rotors every 20k?? No pump mishaps? Impressive, I must say! Thank you for the input!!
Cheers!
Njexpress

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Not even brake pads and rotors every 20k?? No pump mishaps? Impressive, I must say! Thank you for the input!!
Cheers!
Njexpress

Funny you mention that. I've asked about the brakes and rotors at every service visit and they keep telling me I'm good. My wife and I must be really light brakers. I'm approaching 43k miles, so I'm assuming I'll be due very soon. Also, I'm wondering if the previous owner who put on the first 14k miles had them replaced...or if the dealer did it before I bought it. Who knows???

njexpress

Reaction score
thank you, GR!! Good input.
Too early to summarize but so far, 2 owners have no reported issues although one is apprehensive of owning outside warranty.
Just a thought: what would the warranty really buy you? I mean, are you do concerned about the lack of it that you feel the trade and new buy is worth it?
Cheers!!
--njexpress

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is 2011 LUX with 20k miles. After a few annoying minor problems and dealing with the service department in transition, things have stabilized and its been a great truck with zero issues, original everything + better than expected mileage

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there - welcome to the forum!

The post-2010 world of Land Rover is a bit different than previous generations as far as overall reliability. I had a 2000 Discovery and it was the biggest piece of crap ever. Despite the many issues I experienced in the 10,000 miles I owned the vehicle, I always liked the brand. I took a long hiatus from Land Rover until 2011 when I got an LR4 and I was extremely happy. I had my 2011 for just about 2 years, 27,000 miles, no issues at all. My brakes were still "like new" when I traded it in for a 2013 in June of this year. I traded my 2011 because I got a great deal off the lot, but it did not have all of the options I wanted (Heavy Duty package, etc.). I ended up getting a lot for a trade in and special ordered my 2013 with exactly the specs I wanted.

I think you will find a lot of very happy LR4 owners. Yes, there have been some issues, mostly minor, but overall nothing more considerable than other brands.

Also, with the changes in 2014, I think 2012/2013 is a great choice.

Keep us posted!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM