Considering Purchase of '05 Freelander - Bad Decision?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JORANTES

Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently in the market for a new daily driver and have always eyed Freelanders for the past few years but have never gotten around to actually purchasing one... the time has finally come and I need a new vehicle... I have been driving a 2005 Ford Escape, so I figured it would have similar feel, gas mileage, and reliability.

From the limited research I have done, I have found out that the Freelanders last production year was 2005. I have also discovered that Freelanders in general have an incredibly high possibility of needing major mechanical work after 50k miles...

Now my question is, since I am currently eyeing a 2005 will that mean that it is LESS likely I will run into major problems than the earlier year Freelanders? Did LR make any mechanical improvements over the years while the Freelander was still in production? I am hoping since it is a 2005 that some of the kinks were worked out and that I have a slimmer chance of having problems...

It reminds me of when I was looking for a Mercedes ML a few years ago, and everyone said they are lemons because of sludge problems which caused the engine to ultimately fail, needing replacement. Then I found out that if I purchased a 2003+ the problems was virtually non-existent... So, I purchased a 2003, had if for nearly 3 years/ 75k miles and had no problems... I am hoping this is a similar situation.

The vehicle I am looking at is 2,000 miles away and I plan to fly there to pick it up next week. It is a super clean one-owner 2005 with 45k mi, with a history of service records from the LR dealer. It had the sunroof replaced at 35k mi... and the brake light switch replaced twice since new... any other things I should worry about or should I stay clear from this model all together?

TIA!

Justin from Jacksonville, FL :hello:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I Love my Land Rovers, but the Freelander is JUNK... all I can say is don't walk RUN. IF The engine doesn't die, the transmission will.

I have a friend that buys and sells Land Rovers for a living and will not even take a Freelander in on trade...

Hope this helps.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM