Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyJay

Reaction score
Hey Fellow Lr/Rr peeps. So I think I’ve read ever article on here about coolant leak in my find and replace journey. Still have a leak. Little Backdrop:
2012 Lr4 100kish miles. Been the best vehicle I’ve owned until now. Started while driving down back German roads the coolant light would come on. No biggie, too it off. Did this 3xs over a year and never thought much of it as it was less than a .5 liter ever time. Well two weeks ago, it was more like 2 liters. And.... that lasted for like 20 minutes. So far I have became a master at taking off and putting on the belts and water pump. So here’s what I’ve changed:
Water pump and gaskets (like 7 times)
Black oil cooler pipe and seals
Y coolant “hose” ( it’s a pipe ffs)

manifold is now dry and there’s no water coming from water pump, but it is still coming from somewhere unknown. It’s not the elbow piece ttl. it appears from the way it’s dripping that it’s in the front of the engine and the middle. What else could I be missing? It’s kinda the wife’s main vehicle and I’m running out of time and her faith in me fixing it. Any ideas?

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Fellow Lr/Rr peeps. So I think I’ve read ever article on here about coolant leak in my find and replace journey. Still have a leak. Little Backdrop:
2012 Lr4 100kish miles. Been the best vehicle I’ve owned until now. Started while driving down back German roads the coolant light would come on. No biggie, too it off. Did this 3xs over a year and never thought much of it as it was less than a .5 liter ever time. Well two weeks ago, it was more like 2 liters. And.... that lasted for like 20 minutes. So far I have became a master at taking off and putting on the belts and water pump. So here’s what I’ve changed:
Water pump and gaskets (like 7 times)
Black oil cooler pipe and seals
Y coolant “hose” ( it’s a pipe ffs)

manifold is now dry and there’s no water coming from water pump, but it is still coming from somewhere unknown. It’s not the elbow piece ttl. it appears from the way it’s dripping that it’s in the front of the engine and the middle. What else could I be missing? It’s kinda the wife’s main vehicle and I’m running out of time and her faith in me fixing it. Any ideas?

pressure test it. Look for leaks when it’s not hot. You’ll find the leak...

when the engine is hot, the heat will evaporate the coolant sometimes. With a pressure test, you can see and or hear the leak...it’s the best way I know how.

my lr4 was leaking off the back inlet manifold (back crossover). But it sounds like you’re leaking in the front...could be a defective water pump, or a myriad of other things

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, most auto parts stores have them for “rent”. You basically pay a deposit for the tool then when you return it they give you your money back. Not sure how it works in Germany though. I’m in the states

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a diesel or a gas engine?

CodyJay

Reaction score
Your bet would be right. I was lucky enough to score a pressure tester from the local mechanic. Popped it on and the plastic elbow started spitting. Hope that’s the only place!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM