Coolant Temps - 5.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For about two summers I had a few times where my coolant temperature would spike up to about 230 and the AC would shut off. I wasn’t sure why and didn’t think I was pushing the truck too hard.

Turns out I had a really small leak in my radiator, and presumably I wasn’t holding pressure that well. Since I’ve fixed that I have had zero problems in the hot Arizona temps.

Make sure your coolant crossover pipes have been replaced with the updated part. If those go you won’t get a long enough warning to not fry your engine.

Besides that, the coolant temperature gauge on the gauge cluster is worthless. It’ll stay centered until 230, move up to the top, and you’ll feel the AC kick off. I’m sure more bad things happen if you keep pushing it, but I’ve never exceeded anything higher than that.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about it. In high temps in Death Valley, CA around +115*F, I typically see coolant temp on my Gap IID Tool around 210-215*F at the engine and 185-200*F before the thermostat while blasting the AC.
Dang man. I’m way too **** bout my temps! I stopped driving it in the heat of the day BC I wasn’t comfortable with that level of temp.

I guess I’m still gun shy after buying a new (reman) engine last year. Def don’t want to replace another one!!

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang man. I’m way too **** bout my temps! I stopped driving it in the heat of the day BC I wasn’t comfortable with that level of temp.

I guess I’m still gun shy after buying a new (reman) engine last year. Def don’t want to replace another one!!

I really wanna know what word the board censored this time.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong... I was watching the temps with a close eye. I'm scared too. I'm more scared of my wife yelling at me trying to blast the heater in +115*F temps wheeling out in the desert trying to cool down the motor.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72