Crankshaft Sensor or Timing Chain or ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
Hi All, 2014 LR4 Lux (3.0 V6 114K miles) - Just bought this used 30 days ago upon startup this weekend the engine threw a P0019, P0300, P0304, P0305, P0306 - and now it sounds like a diesel. Any way to determine if this is indeed just the crankshaft sensor for bank 2 or something way more costly like a timing chain repair? Had to drive 2 miles home from when it happened and just sitting in garage for now.

Any assistance is appreciated, thanks.

Edward2595

Reaction score
It sounds like your sensor is attempting to die on you but has not quite yet - I would replace it. I would also check and make sure your wire to the sensor is not loose as well.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
So I went to start it today and it ran for a second and died out. Then was able to get to the sensor and wiggle it a bit and viola seemed to start and run fine. Codes still on so maybe that sensor is still on it's way out, but it gives me something to hope for. Thanks!!!

JamesUSMC

Reaction score
The timing chain is loose, causing a skip in the sensors. I had that happen to my 14 LR4 and eventually it broke 2 of my cam shafts. Be careful. Take it to a qualified dealer/repair place for proper diagnosis. I tried to go the "sensor" route and it ended up costing me $125.00 for a wrong diagnosis.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
I took it in and indeed it's the timing chain. Went to start it to back it out for the tow truck and it sounded terrible. Shut it down right away and figured out how to put it in neutral. Anyway, it looks like timing chain and a couple of bent valves. Will be a big expense - especially for only having for 11 days from Lexus Dealer (as-is of course). Even though this is the 3.0 motor I fear it suffers from the same timing chain guide issues as the 5.0 - the tech had me come down and take a look at the motor half torn apart and he showed me the block is the same as the 5.0 but with the back 2 cylinders plugged. Also decided to do the water pump since it was no extra labor. I hope the AMEX can flex to what will be a sizeable repair by end of week.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch. What is the recommended timing chain replacement interval? I did not see it called out in the passport to service.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
I read a couple spots where it should not even be looked at until 150K miles and thought the tensioner and chain problem was pre-2014. Supposed to be a non-interference motor also meaning the valves should not contact and bend. I was able to call the dealer and while they won't do much to help financially (I insisted on and got a pre-inspection at a land rover shop in town and nothing noted beforehand from them) they were able to refer me to an independent land rover repair place in town who is giving me 50% off labor. This shop does 5.0 timing chains all day long and after meeting with the mechanic I suppose I felt way better. Probably all in 4-5K for timing chain (original lr parts, new water pump and drivers side head and valves reworked. I hope nothing else comes out of their looksie. Everyone agrees this was odd for the 3.0 motor with 114K but I suspect more will crop up on this forum.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget to do anything else that will need done while you have it apart. Crossovers come to mind!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it in and indeed it's the timing chain. Went to start it to back it out for the tow truck and it sounded terrible. Shut it down right away and figured out how to put it in neutral. Anyway, it looks like timing chain and a couple of bent valves. Will be a big expense - especially for only having for 11 days from Lexus Dealer (as-is of course). Even though this is the 3.0 motor I fear it suffers from the same timing chain guide issues as the 5.0 - the tech had me come down and take a look at the motor half torn apart and he showed me the block is the same as the 5.0 but with the back 2 cylinders plugged. Also decided to do the water pump since it was no extra labor. I hope the AMEX can flex to what will be a sizeable repair by end of week.

You only owned it 11 days? Did the dealer you bought it from have any warranty? Generally, they at least state they have a 30-day warranty.

If there wasn't any language regarding a warranty, that's actually good, because the "30-day" language actually limits a dealer's liability to 30-days. Otherwise, there is an implied warranty of fitment for a particular purpose that should extend for a reasonable length of time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM