Crankshaft Sensor or Timing Chain or ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
Updated photos - looks like the motor is back in and some new parts ready for installation - the shop owner has a good sense of humor and texted me "your new plastic parts have arrived" ... The cylinder head we purchased $595 is right side of picture (drivers side) looks pretty clean. It may be done by tomorrow. So this motor can come out and go back without body off...

MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you get a picture of the old timing chain guides? The ones that look like blades. Specifically, the part where the tensioners make contact with them.

I'm curious to see how the updated part wears there.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how the updated part wears there.
When I took mine out, there wasn't any wear at all. It's mainly the position of the tensioner that makes contact with the guide that's different. The guide is slightly longer and the position of the contact point is at a better angle for the tensioner at longer extensions, but I wouldn't know since the new parts didn't have much extension when I put it all back in.

That's what I noticed.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I took mine out, there wasn't any wear at all. It's mainly the position of the tensioner that makes contact with the guide that's different. The guide is slightly longer and the position of the contact point is at a better angle for the tensioner at longer extensions, but I wouldn't know since the new parts didn't have much extension when I put it all back in.

That's what I noticed.

Interesting that yours showed little wear. Some other instances reported have shown a distinct recess into the guides (some appearing to be as much as 1/8" deep).

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Now I regret not taking pictures of all of it. I was able to force a flathead screwdriver between the tensioner and guide. Basically, the tensioner was not fully extended and pressing against the guide to press against the chain. There was contact, but the chain was obviously a little loose.

I'm assuming the new tensioner and guide has better contact with the slight change in angle, but I heard that the newer LR4s still have timing chain issues and they might be working on a version 3. Don't quote me on that.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some Land Rover techs who post on the "Land Rover Owners North America" facebook group who have said Land Rover is working on version 3 of the guides.

When I looked at the ones they pulled off my 2012, there was about an 1/8" to a 1/4" hole that had been worn into the guides by the tensioners. Version 2 of the guides put a steel button in that spot to try to stop the wear. My hope is that, so long as I change my oil at a reasonable interval, the guides in there now will last the life of the remainder of the car.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
Update: Repair shop said the work is all done and it runs like a 'dream'. I will pick it up Thursday and snap some pictures of the old parts. All told $6,300 is not a bad deal IMO to pull the motor, clean out the oil pan, new water pump, gaskets, find a complete used head from a newer 3.0 V6 SC, do all the plastic pieces and get things running. Maybe a 'Christmas Miracle' for this price. Next is to check some of the existing threads and tackle the tire size upgrade to fill up the wheel wells a bit more.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great to hear. I agree that for the work done on a vehicle like this, that is not so bad.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to check the laws in your state. There may be a reasonable use law or something of the like in your state. If so, the dealer can't write a contract to circumvent it. If you have not done a free consult with an attorney, I would suggest you do.

I would go to the Lexus dealer and talk with the General Manager or the owner. Tell them you and all of your friends are going to trash them on Yelp, Google, etc if they don't make this right. Tell them you are going to talk with an attorney, and file BBB reports etc.

Tell them you believe they should pay 75% of the cost and hope they agree to 50% of the cost. Stand up for what's right. I know a hundred dealers and I bet there are not 5 of them who wouldn't do something for you in this case.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
@Davidinseattle I plan on making a case to the dealer once I have the invoice in my possession. Dealers make a lot on low-balling trades and reselling with 'as-is' as cover for not taking on any of the risk. The entire used car buying experience has to change from a legal standpoint to favor the consumer. I am lucky that I have 3 other cars and could manage without this for a month by driving the wife to work, hassle for sure but fortunate I could still conduct the business of my life.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9