Crazy to add Tactical Rear bumper at 104k?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

modesto_man

Reaction score
@mbw I get the weight issue but for my uses (rocky technical trails) the thicker metal of the t44 along with it extending all the way under to the frame provides more protection. As for the weight, it is as low on the truck as you can get so it doesn't affect handling and the rest of my setup is pretty light. The step rail is narrow but that use is not priority for me.... just occasional to access stuff on the roof rack.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'Day MBW, If weight is a serious concern re transmission Transfer case protection,
check out the weight of the plates made by APT in Australia. I'm sure Ben can advise
the exact weight. Check out APT's YouTube fitting instruction for all of their underbody
protections. Brilliant quality & everything they make always fits perfectly.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are referring to the size difference in the dual filler they provide and the OE filler tube size, then ya.. i will either have it modified or use the 1" to 1.5" fuel filler adapter I bought that is stainless. I don't plan on cutting the OE filler up to make adapters and all that crap they have in the instructions.

Other than that filler tube size issue it all looks pretty straight forward to install. I plan to do it myself.

It's been years, since I did mine, but IIRC, it wasn't so much a size difference, as it was having to weld an additional **** onto the supplied filler neck.

It will be obvious once you start the install, as you need to place to park each of the factory connections, as well as the connections to the aux tank.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to keep bringing this up, but can we just remove all the stupid censorship on this forum altogether? It's getting tiresome trying to guess what someone is saying when otherwise innocuous words are replaced with asterisks. We're all adults here.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to keep bringing this up, but can we just remove all the stupid censorship on this forum altogether? It's getting tiresome trying to guess what someone is saying when otherwise innocuous words are replaced with asterisks. We're all adults here.
I agree. In my entire time here I don't think I've ever ran into anything that should have been censored on this forum.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lulz. Something has changed. Just noticed after the two comments above that the nickname for my 911 cabrio has "astericized".

Jesus. ****, ****

nhskibm

Reaction score
FWIW and late to the party:

Just picked up a 2016 Landmark HD two months ago with 104k on the clock. When adding mods it boils down to math for me...

On cars and bids a 2014 with some light mods went pretty high: https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rbpn5yEk/2014-land-rover-lr4-hse

Looking around cargurus, etc. you find that HD packages are in the 30-40k range (not sure if OP has an HD or what year car theirs is but math works the same with whatever your base car is).

I walked out the door from the dealer at $37k and then did fluids, winshield, control arms and tie rods before I took ownership.

Since then I went Proud Rhino slides, Lucky8 gas tank skid, front runner front skid, terrafirma rear carrier (which is awesome for the money OP), and 5 compos with 265/65 KO2s, then swapped stock silver rails for black and did some preemptive maintenance.

I'm now into the car for $45k. Probably $10k over what I can get for it.

So now comes the question: is that $10k "loss" worth it to me?

Well, I'm sitting in CO right now after driving from NH last week. There's 6 pairs of skis in the back and a mtn bike and still room for the dog's bed. I drove through that storm on the east coast last week and next week am going to run Fins and Things with the truck. I will put about 10k miles on it during the trip and with a D5 at 80k sitting in the garage (also HD package) I may just punt the truck when I get home in March. So that's $1 per mile to do an epic road trip and use every bit of the truck's capabilities. Sounds like a bargain to me.

So, get the damn bumper if you like it and will use it - and the math works for you.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been years, since I did mine, but IIRC, it wasn't so much a size difference, as it was having to weld an additional **** onto the supplied filler neck.

It will be obvious once you start the install, as you need to place to park each of the factory connections, as well as the connections to the aux tank.
From what I am seeing no modification of the dual filler neck is needed other than making sure the size of the filler tube matches the size of the OE filler tube. Everything else on the dual filler is good to go. As long as I adapt that size correctly (if needed, i haven't measured yet) then it should require no welding and no cutting of the OE filler neck if I use alternative adapters.

1644334350247.png
1644334369205.png

This shows the OE filler neck cut to make an adapter, but I would buy a pre-made gas fill adapter (stainless) and appropriate hoses if needed.
1644334501217.png

edit: I bought this...

1644334867962.png

Last edited:

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I am seeing no modification of the dual filler neck is needed other than making sure the size of the filler tube matches the size of the OE filler tube. Everything else on the dual filler is good to go. As long as I adapt that size correctly (if needed, i haven't measured yet) then it should require no welding and no cutting of the OE filler neck if I use alternative adapters.

View attachment 21612View attachment 21613

This shows the OE filler neck cut to make an adapter, but I would buy a pre-made gas fill adapter (stainless) and appropriate hoses if needed.
View attachment 21614

edit: I bought this...

View attachment 21615

Jesus Christ. The site is editing out B U N G now. Lulz.

Hope it goes easy for you. As I said, mine was years ago. I think I was one of the first 3 or 4 people in the USA to get one of these tanks to work, so there might very well be differences now. I posted a thread back then titled So You Want An Auxiliary Tank that had the details.

As I said, you will love it once you get it working.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72