Crossover Pipe Bursted on V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, their is not yet a one piece option for the 5.0L.

My indy mechanic who does LR only is trying to prototype a metallic version one with a local machine shop. If anything comes of it, I will likely be the guinea pig but that might be a year down the road the way the world is going right now.

ETA: I've seen probably 4 or 5 toasted 5.0's in his shop from this issue over the last couple of years.

Parker Freeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the proportion of rear failure to front failure is? I did the front crossover about 6 months ago now having a shop do the rear crossover.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the expected life in years or miles for the water pump, front pipe, and rear pipe?

Seems like it might be good preventive maintenance to replace the blasted things every X miles/years, before they fail.

:2in1:

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the expected life in years or miles for the water pump, front pipe, and rear pipe?

Seems like it might be good preventive maintenance to replace the blasted things every X miles/years, before they fail.

:2in1:

A cursory google search has indicated water pump lifespans to be anywhere from 60k to 100k. 75k or failure seems to be a reasonable timespan for prevention on our trucks. I just replaced mine that had 80k on it and wasn’t leaking. My front crossover started leaking at 90k. I don’t think my rear has ever been done. I’ll double check the service records but it could have been done in the first 62k of the cars life before I owned it.

Just based on my own experience I’d say you could reasonably go 75k before replacing all of these items.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
75k does seem like a reasonable number. I wonder what the "record" lifespans are.

Sadly, I have minimal records from the 1 previous owner of my rig. It had the pump replaced under warranty at 50k, and there's a Carfax record which mentions another replacement at ~105k by an indy shop, but I don't have specifics of either.

Currently at 125k and have a tiny leak somewhere that I can't locate (tiny as in maybe 1 pint of coolant loss per year, no drips on the floor). Guess I should at least buy both crossover pipes to have on the shelf...

:s:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 97k miles now and I know my water pump has been replaced twice (once before I bought it at around 30k miles and the second time when the dealer was doing my timing chain guides at around 80k miles) and my front crossover pipe once (at around 65k miles).

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 97k miles now and I know my water pump has been replaced twice (once before I bought it at around 30k miles and the second time when the dealer was doing my timing chain guides at around 80k miles) and my front crossover pipe once (at around 65k miles).

I would say 3 years or 30,000. Mine is at about 92K and it is on it's third pump.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We could easily build a list of components and "replace by" numbers from this conversation. I agree with all of the above. The water pump lifecycle of 3 yrs or 30,000 miles seems aggressive but only because I'm at 80,000 and have only done it once. :) Maybe that's next on my preventive maintenance list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have gathered, the water pump on the 5.0 weeps a little when it goes bad, but seldom just gives out.

The crossover pipe, on the other hand, goes catastrophically, and needs to be replaced before you see signs of it going bad. That's the dangerous part about it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi