Crossover Pipe Bursted on V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say preventative pro action would be do a new water pump every 50k and new crossovers at 75k. not that it’s a huge deal when the water pump starts to leak because it is not catastrophic.

SkyTree

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the proportion of rear failure to front failure is? I did the front crossover about 6 months ago now having a shop do the rear crossover.

While this is anecdotal, from my interactions with both other owners and LR/Indy mechanics, it seems to be roughly a 3-to-1 ratio. 3x Front failure to every 1x Back failure.

My personal view is... if you're going to do either one as pre-emptive maintenance or post-failure (yikes), just replace both of them at the same time and log the mileage/date in your maintenance book.

SkyTree

ps - An acquaintance of mine, who's a 20 year Rover mechanic and now service advisor said a good indicator of a plastic part needing replacement is the color. When it starts to lose that dark black, new part glow and fades toward a duller, dark brown-ish black, replace. The logic being, if the outside is starting to degrade, the seams which are submitted to intense heat and pressure certainly are too. Like when you see one cockroach, you know there are 100 more nearby you aren't seeing. :hello:

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have gathered, the water pump on the 5.0 weeps a little when it goes bad, but seldom just gives out.

The crossover pipe, on the other hand, goes catastrophically, and needs to be replaced before you see signs of it going bad. That's the dangerous part about it.

Two pumps. One wept the other "gave out" with a large puddle in minutes.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It blows my mind that there has not been a class-action lawsuit about this issue...yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Porsche Cayenne S had the same type of issue. Rear coolant pipes failed as they were basically biodegradable. Mine started leaking at 7 or 8 years old and IIRC, 60,000 miles or so. The repair was $1700. I threaten a lawsuit and Porsche agreed to pay 2/3 of the repair cost if I paid 1/3. I found that acceptable.

Small claims court is a great venue if you only have a small claim like the coolant pipes failing as OP has with his rig. OEMs don't like to go to court and will settle a lot of times just to get rid of it. Also, I believe you can do discovery with small claims court. Last, small claims court does not cover high dollar repairs so if you lost an engine, not the route for you.

If I was facing a $20k plus bill as a result of these pipes failing, I'd hire a lawyer who wants a class action suit and have at it. This would be a nothing burger if for the catastrophic effect on the engine.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of us who have experienced this failure really should come together and take some action. If anyone here who has had this experience can contact me, I can look into it.

[email protected]
Do you want only catastrophic failures or people who had a leaking pipe who replaced it?

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of us who have experienced this failure really should come together and take some action. If anyone here who has had this experience can contact me, I can look into it.

[email protected]
Robin, thanks for taking the lead.

Seems that there are likely 4 classes:

1. it failed and it cost them a lot (like you!)
2. it failed but they caught it somehow magically in time before it destroyed the engine and the repair didn't cost a whole engine.
3. the owner knew it was likely to fail so they replaced it pre-emptively.
4. the owner is blissfully unaware of the problem but will soon join group 1-3 above.

Personally I'm in group 3 - I did mine pre-emptively at 72,000 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough where my water pump started a slow leak after I almost overheated towing up a mountain.

Dealer replaced the water pump under warranty and I had them replace the crossover pipes as well, which they did.

This happened around 60K. I plan on replacing the crossover pipes around 110k along with possibly the water pump again. I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time and have had very few problems in retrospect.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72