CTS-V owner looking at LR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedogomer

Reaction score
Hey guys, just saying hi, and looking to get some input on ownership experience from some LR owners.

Little about me, I currently have a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, 57K miles on the odo, CPO warranty still under effect... I'm looking to trade it in on a LR The car has been a mixed bag. It's plenty fast, handles great, and turns plenty of heads (I have electronic exhaust cutouts just behind the cats, so when they're open it's very loud with an awesome rumble) and the car has been pretty good with fuel mileage (about 20 mpg mixed, 25mpg highway only).

The problem is that I live in rural northeast PA. My commute is about 20 miles one way over back roads that rarely are plowed when it snows. There is also a very big and expanding natural gas industry locally, there's natural gas wells popping up everywhere, and due to the heavy truck traffic the roads are disintegrating rapidly Here's the downside of the Caddy, it sits low, is worthless on our roads in the snow with snow tires, and the ride is very harsh. I know it's a Cadillac and everyone assumes it rides like butter, but you never forget you're n a sports car. The car has also been very unreliable and in 2 years and 25K miles of ownership I've had a clutch, radiator, computer software update, 2 tire pressure sensors, water pump, rear diff bushing, and control arm, All on separate trips to the dealer (which has been great to me). The car also recently bottomed out BAD on a section of tore up roads and dented the exhaust badly, causing it to make loud banging against the frame, and tearing off some plastic tray under the engine

I've always owned cars (1997 ZX2, 2001 Neon R/T(junk), 2005 WRX, 2004 CTS-V) and now looking for an SUV. I dont mind turning wrench a little, MPG isn't terribly important, and I'd like a capable off roader. I'm oooking for an LR3 or Range Rover but undecided so far. My budget is around 20-25K so it'd be looking at an 05ish LR3 with 40K miles or an 03-04 Range Rover with 40-60K miles.

Anyone else transition from a sports car to LR? I've read the horror stories of reliability (but the Caddy was no peach). How about some input, any replies are much appreciated. (sorry for the long post)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum, I would read the LR3 section and the Range Rover section... if RR is what you interested in, I would also recommend www.rangerovers.net

If it were me, I would step back and buy the last model year of the previous generation, but then again I hate spending a lot of money.

i.e. 04 D2 or 02 Range Rover, you could almost pay cash for it and have plenty of money for any issues.

GMT

Reaction score
Too funny...

06 CTS-V to LR3 owner here.

Loved the V, had the StealthV custom FRC's, Magnaflow Catback, and some cosmetic mods (STSV Clear DRL's) etc.

Bro, I love the LR!!! It's night and day from the beast of the V, but we just had a baby and needed to go to something larger.

I picked up an '06 with 17k miles from CarMax. Had a few minor quirks in the beginning that the previous owner just ignored or didn't want to deal with, but after a few trips to the dealer (which by the way were the best stealership experiences I've had to date) everything is great with the Rover.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72