Dealer Price Gouging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of people buying land roves just drop them off pay the bill and pick them up.

I just read that the average income of RR buyers is 500,000. I'm sure most of them don't care and just want their car taken care of.

Speaking as one of these Range Rover owners, my experience has been that people don't reach this level of income by being unwise with their money. Real millionaires look a lot more like your neighbor than they do a Kardashian. They are by and large careful with their money and wise with what they spend. I would guess there are more low income people ripped off by fraudulent repair/service costs than there are millionaires.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking as one of these Range Rover owners, my experience has been that people don't reach this level of income by being unwise with their money. Real millionaires look a lot more like your neighbor than they do a Kardashian. They are by and large careful with their money and wise with what they spend. I would guess there are more low income people ripped off by fraudulent repair/service costs than there are millionaires.

I agree with you. Most millionaires you would never know it. They typically would be driving the Camry or something and not a Range Rover too though.

Plenty of stupid rich people around too, im not saying that all range rover owners are that by any means, but some group of people fuel this stigma that you see and hear about at a typical LR dealer.

I don't think this is just limited to luxury brands either. I just had a toyota dealer take a pretty good run at me on my wifes lexus, getting 90k mile service done. I ended up doing a few things myself, brakes, rotors, etc... but still ended up dropping $2500 at the dealer fixing cats and sensors and flushes, timing belt, etc.

Jomalo

Reaction score
I'm just submitting my car for the 22500 service and got this email:

1. Performing the 22,500 mile service includes synthetic oil and filter, tires rotated and balanced replace cabin air filter , engine air filter fuel additive and top off all fluid levels. $770.78 + tax
  2. Repaired left front seat belt adjuster, under warranty
  3. Need to special order new air vent for right side dashboard. Covered by warranty
  4. Calibrated fuel sensor, but tech states when fuel is that low below ¼ of a tank light will come on if fuel shifts inside tank.
  5. Checked complete under carriage and no problems found from scraping heard.
  6. Adjusted and aligned front hood hinges and hood stopper.
  7. Check and cleaned off brakes all around as part of the service.
  8. Recommends brake fluid exchange and replace all fluids $224.44 + tax
  9. Finally recommends front and rear end alignments $269.10 +tax, left front and left rear camber adjustments

I asked them a few questions and to itemize the time spent on the different tasks so I could understand how it amounted to that arbitrary amount and I get this as a reply:

No, it is generally in a lined up service. Bu I will put a copy of the maintenance manual with your receipt so you have something for your records. Also your service came out a little less than the original amount of $770.78 + tax. The sub total before tax came to $697.50 + tax.

The service breakdown lube oil and filter synthetic oil only 10 quarts of oil and filter, tires rotated and speed balanced, fuel additive added and injectors cleaned out. Service battery, perform multi point inspection, reset service reminder light, adjusted electronic park brake, replace pollen air filter, top off all other fluid levels, check and set all tire pressures and finally adjust all drive belts and tension.

This is in NJ - at Prestige Paramus to be exact. Thoughts? Am I crazy for wanting a detailed breakdown of services rendered? Is the price normal?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake fluid at 22k? What is 'all fluids'?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jomalo

Reaction score
Its dealer for give us your money and nobody gets hurt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4