Death Rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

floridarover

Reaction score
Ok guys reaching out once again for some guidance. I have done some front end work to my Disco I (new steering box, steering stabilizer, pan hard rod bushings, and all four tie rod ends). I got the alignment done today after I put the tie rod ends on and it still has a death rattle when you hit a bump going above 50 mph. The alignment is good (I saw the print out and drives straight). Below 50 my Disco drives like new, above 50 after hitting a bump it seems like the shuttle on re-entry. I had a local shop (only works on Rovers) advise me that my pan swivels were fine. Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Death Rattle?

Ok guys reaching out once again for some guidance. I have done some front end work to my Disco I (new steering box, steering stabilizer, pan hard rod bushings, and all four tie rod ends). I got the alignment done today after I put the tie rod ends on and it still has a death rattle when you hit a bump going above 50 mph. The alignment is good (I saw the print out and drives straight). Below 50 my Disco drives like new, above 50 after hitting a bump it seems like the shuttle on re-entry. I had a local shop (only works on Rovers) advise me that my pan swivels were fine. Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

Death rattle……….

A short Continuous rattle or just a big clunk when you hit a bump over 50 mph?................ And how big is the bump ?

Let me know……….. Chongo
:bandit:

floridarover

Reaction score
You don't have to hit a very big bump. Something small will do the trick and then it will shake the steering wheel out of your hand until you slow down. I can even hang out the window and see the tires oscilating. Wheel bearings seemed good today when checked.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel movement

You don't have to hit a very big bump. Something small will do the trick and then it will shake the steering wheel out of your hand until you slow down. I can even hang out the window and see the tires oscilating. Wheel bearings seemed good today when checked.

Not being there it could be many things. I would first check the free play in the steering wheel. How many inches does the steering wheel move before the wheels do ?

Chongo :bandit:

floridarover

Reaction score
I don't have any play in the steering.........very tight. I really didn't have play in it before the new steering box. I just replaced it because the seal blew out.

Last edited:

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wheel movement

I don't have any play in the steering.........very tight.

Ok If you have a jack that you can use or borrow to lift up the axle housing. Jack one side at a time up a few inches only off the ground and as hard as you can with your hands try and move the top of the tire in and out from the engine, this will check your wheel bearings and upper and lower joints. There should be no movement. Don’t be gentle when testing the tire movement, Grab the bottom of the tire and the top of the tire and try to get movement out of it.
Let me know……… Chongo
:bandit:

floridarover

Reaction score
Already done that as well. And I did not have any play. I even used a long bar to put more pressure than I could do by hand.

But this is what I love about the LR family...............a total stranger trying diligently to help. You are appreciated.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radius arm bushings?

Already done that as well. And I did not have any play. I even used a long bar to put more pressure than I could do by hand.

But this is what I love about the LR family...............a total stranger trying diligently to help. You are appreciated.

Ok, did you replace or check the radius arm bushings ?

chongo :bandit:

floridarover

Reaction score
Have not checked or replaced those. However, you will have to point me in the right direction on where it is at and how to check.

Also, do those have to be pressed in like the pan hard rod?

Last edited:

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not checked or replaced those. However, you will have to point me in the right direction on where it is at and how to check.

Also check the panhard rod bushings,this rod keeps the axle from swaying from side to side. If everything is tight below mechanically speaking, and there is nothing that gets loose , there is a problem with the tires. Radial tires can separate internally and or have been constructed wrong in the beginning. Can you borrow or trade tires to check it out ?

chongo :bandit:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4