Definitive roof rack thread?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a rtt on mine which ways about 160lbs and I way about 230 and good so far...
I have 7' 6" clearance in the garage I park in and it works tho i lower it for access.

furbeerl

Reaction score
1d3cf3c85f9f7c384aa0196758a54a3e.jpg

Roof Rack for LR4 I made from black anodized 80/20 T slot aluminium.

2ca51c666c8242ae59ec5fd229a003fc.jpg

Another view showing the anti-slip tread from 80/20 note the 1998 Discovery (series 1) in the background.

furbeerl

Reaction score
Here are a couple more if you are interested.

6c2a6a9f76229bac79258eaf3a8f201f.jpg

Roof Rack I made for an LR4 using 80/20 T slot aluminum (img 3). Note the 90 deg brackets at all 4 corners.

5828caa83853901889a920bff56646d6.jpg

This shows mounting brackets are black 80/20 open triangles to connect the factory full length roof track to the 80/20 T slot. The mounting plate that holds the brackets are within the LR Factory slot required custom work to modify bar aluminium to the correct size and a rabbit on the underside of the bar stock to accommodate a T bolt ( like those to hold a toilet). I cut that to size using a carbide blade on my table saw. Sorry no dimensions, I just messed around until it fit on the track and the toilet bolt fit in the rabbit. I chose non-rusting hardware such as aluminium and stainless when I could. Stainless and aluminium get along with each other but steel and aluminium or stainless especially do not like each other and will electro-chemically react and corrode.

You can also see the 90 deg brackets I used to hold the cross bars to the log rails. Note the D ring mounted in the T slot.

One more think it makes a low tone whistle from the wind blowing over the T slots. I filled these with rubber t Slot filler strips The top ones are non skid and UV resistant, but a bit pricey The others are there much less expensive filler strips. You can save yourself ordering the T Slot profiles without a slot on the bottom but 80/20 may charge more for that profile vs the filler strips.

Ben Myton

Reaction score
I’ve always been curious about this too. Never understood why this rack has a lower rating called out then most other on the market.

For what it's worth, Land Rover only specs the roof as being able to support 165lbs in the dealer sheets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allegro

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on the Prospeed rack vs Gobi stealth rack? I'm leaning toward a low profile basket style rack and these two stand out. I don't have rear rails, which the Prospeed requires, so the Gobi would be cheaper to get going (it also comes with ladder, removable cross bars, etc.). I do like the idea of working with Lucky8 on the Prospeed though and having a good source for attachments. Gobi is also 12-16 weeks lead time while Lucky8 has a Prospeed in stock...

Initially I was thinking of going for a platform-style rack. There is a lot of good info on here regarding Front Runner racks, but my research led me to Eezi-Awn -- their K9 system seems pretty stout, and the US dealer Paul @ Equipt / equipt1.com suggested that the Eezi-Awn is lighter, quieter, and stronger than the Front Runner. Might be something to look at for those wanting a platform. Also, there's an Eezi-Awn load bar kit available -- sounds kind of like the old Front Runner load-bar kit I've read about on this forum which is no longer available. The bonus of this kit is that you can use the same feet to "upgrade" to an Eezi-Awn platform down the road, if you so choose.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...There is a lot of good info on here regarding Front Runner racks, but my research led me to Eezi-Awn -- their K9 system seems pretty stout, and the US dealer Paul @ Equipt / equipt1.com suggested that the Eezi-Awn is lighter, quieter, and stronger than the Front Runner. Might be something to look at for those wanting a platform. Also, there's an Eezi-Awn load bar kit available -- sounds kind of like the old Front Runner load-bar kit I've read about on this forum which is no longer available. The bonus of this kit is that you can use the same feet to "upgrade" to an Eezi-Awn platform down the road, if you so choose.
That's great. Thanks for sharing this.

I have the front runner load bar kit (3 bars) and really like it. I was sad to hear they stopped making it (story I heard is that people were overloading the bars, they were bending, so they just stopped making it instead of beefing up the crossbars.) FWIW, they still list it on their website and even have an LR4 pictured on the "load bar components" page. I haven't researched it, though...

It's nice to see that Equipt makes something very similar and their track mounting kit seems a little more low profile, even though I didn't see a picture of it installed on an LR3/4. The FR options are similar in that it is the base of the full platform rack, so if you happen to have it, you are halfway to a platform if you want to upgrade later.

It looks like the mounts for accessories are similar, so wanted to point out that Front Runner makes some really nice cargo rollers that I use to put canoes and SUPs on my roof. I have two of these rollers on the rear bar of my 3 bar rack. I put a thick Dakine surf pad on the two front bars which makes it match the height of the roller. Used it this weekend to take the kids canoeing. So nice and easy to load a long boat by myself, without scratching the roof.

Cargo Roller

rsgk%2F1%2F666681%2F13124706%2FFullSizeRender21-vi.png

allegro

Reaction score
That's great. Thanks for sharing this.
I have the front runner load bar kit (3 bars) and really like it. I was sad to hear they stopped making it (story I heard is that people were overloading the bars, they were bending, so they just stopped making it instead of beefing up the crossbars.) FWIW, they still list it on their website and even have an LR4 pictured on the "load bar components" page. I haven't researched it, though...

I reached out to Front Runner a week ago and they confirmed that the load bar kit is no longer available. Shame...

I just placed an order for the Eezi-Awn load bar kit - will report back!

Kerrie

Reaction score
Great thread! What do some of y'all have in the way of roof top tents? I'm looking to get a Roofnest (specifically the Condor XL). I also need a roof rack, and looking at FrontRunner. I don't have roof rails, so thinking their kit would be a good option? Is there a better set up recommended?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV