Definitive roof rack thread?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that, my notes were a little vague.

1. Yes, install the rack to the roof of the rover before trying to attach the fairing. There is easy access to the under side of the rack even while it is on the car. I used the sun roof but I could have also done it while sitting on top of the rack. You put the bolts loosely into the track on the bottom of the rack, and then the fairing slots onto the bolts.

2. Yep. I figure it's impossible to lay down the protective tape while the fairing is installed, but it's also really hard to figure out where to put the protective stuff if the fairing isn't on at all. The blue painter's tape goes down to trace the line where the fairing makes contact with the roof (I did 1/2" away from the rubber so there wouldn't be much protective plastic showing after the fairing was back on). It's a gently curving line so you can't just mark the two edges and pull a straight line across.

3. Yep. The clear tape they send is somewhat stretchy, so start at one side and press it down nice and secure, then work your way across stretching it and pressing it down so that it follows the curve that you marked with the painter's tape. Your yellow arrows are right, it's like a clear packing tape with a bit more body to it, you can see all the wrinkles and bubbles that I put in mine by doing it wrong a couple times and having to pull it back up.

4. You bet, remove the blue tape after you have the protective stuff in place, then re-mount the fairing and tighten everything down. This is probably a 20 minute job unless you're like me and want to do it wrong a couple times first :)

The idea is to get the protective tape right here, and have it stick out an even amount in the front where people might be able to see it:

View attachment 9830

Ben - this helps so much and I really appreciate that you wanted to teach others after your learning curve. I've had my rack for a couple months and don't really mind the wind noise at all, but I purchased the fairing at the same time and just haven't installed yet. I will probably get this knocked out sometime in the next week or so. Thanks again!

lvl112

Reaction score
When I was in the market for a real roof rack, RhinoRack didn't have one at the time for full rails, Prospeed was only available in UK, and yada yada yada. Anyhow... I ended up just ditching the full rails and leaving the back half of the roof channels *****. No one can tell or knows about it, except for me. Serves no real purpose except for aesthetics, that no one can see.

My point is, just get the Prospeed roof rack. On the plus side, you can probably find someone that wants to swap your full rails and gutters with theirs with or without the half rails and make a little money. But that's niche trying to find someone that wants the full rails.

I have the full rails and have decided on the Prospeed rack as well. Did you install the short rails and leave the front rails and channel ***** that was once covered by the full rails? Just wanted to clarify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Did you install the short rails and leave the front rails and channel ***** that was once covered by the full rails?

I left the channel *****, but kept the front half in place.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Here's my diy wind fairing. I did this before FRO had one, and would still would have made one after it was released. I have the FRO light bar mounted to the bottom of the front rack, so it wouldn't work for me.

My wind fairing does a few things, keep the led light bar secured and dust off the lens, allows me to open my sun roof to open the led light bar shield, and pushes air up along the same angle as the windshield. And yes, it's tinted polycarbonate.

20190722_170359.jpg

Steve T

Reaction score
i'm looking for a low profile rack like this or prospeed rack, or the ideal rack would be an OEM EXPEDITION rack with the top rails removed that i can mount a lightbar onto..

1CC87C14-166C-4703-90F9-3DC2FEF21749.jpeg

35519282-499D-4F83-97E3-726FA6FCF5B1.jpeg

furbeerl

Reaction score
Is there a definitive roof rack thread, kinda like the tire thread?
My 2012 has the full length roof rails, which, based on what I'm finding, won't work with the ProSpeed flat rack, and a few others that I like.

I built my own using black anodized T-slot aluminum. It looks great and wife approved, the dealership liked it as well. No welding or drilling. I used the T-slot brackets to assemble the whole thing. It's strong and low profile as well. I'll get a picture if you want to see it.

Steve T

Reaction score
I built my own using black anodized T-slot aluminum. It looks great and wife approved, the dealership liked it as well. No welding or drilling. I used the T-slot brackets to assemble the whole thing. It's strong and low profile as well. I'll get a picture if you want to see it.

i would like to see it....

Steve T

Reaction score

specs say only has a 220# load rating

i plan to mount a rooftop tent and i also like the lower profile style of the OEM Expedition rack (w/top rails removed) as it appears to almost sit directly on top of the roof without mounting risers like the Rhinorack and some others. even the Prospeed is almost flush to the roof when including the top mounting hardware. i don't have much Garage clearance..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV