Dirty engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One year/10k milea in the desert southwest and our SCV6 is covered with sand and dust. What do y'all recommend to clean off? No pressure washer, right? Any areas to avoid?

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One year/10k milea in the desert southwest and our SCV6 is covered with sand and dust. What do y'all recommend to clean off? No pressure washer, right? Any areas to avoid?

This is how I detail engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwBep2lLYAA

I personally use a pressure washer if their is oil from a repair etc just being careful around electronic parts. You can always agitate with brushes etc then rinse with a hose.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple Green seems just as effective in removing grime and grease without scrubbing, just spray liberally everywhere and let it do its thing for a few minutes, work it in with a brush if some areas are especially caked up with gunk, then rinse with a garden hose in a sprinkle-like pattern, most of the dirt should wash away. If you must use a pressure washer, don't point it anywhere near the battery compartment and fuse box on the passenger side (expensive electronic modules are buried back there) as well as the same compartment on the driver side (more electronics, including the transfer box control module, in there.)

Last edited:

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 with the Simple Green and a garden hose. If you have a ton of dry sand and dirt in there you might want to get some of it out with a shopvac first, otherwise you will have a lot of mud to rinse out..

I have heard and seen too many horror stories with a pressure washer, tread lightly if you go that route.. My next door neighbor had a Jag XJS and he pressure washed the engine... I never saw that car run again.:****:

Mike

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my engine bay is disgusting as well. if i use simple green or any other degreaser, do i need to cover anything before hosing it off with a garden hose?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can throw a few rags over the battery compartments and fuse box if you want to be extra careful not to spray them directly with high pressure water (if you are using a garden hose that's less of a concern, but better safe than sorry.) Also, if you will be degreasing and cleaning the hood latches areas as well, after they've dried up maybe spray a bit of silicone lube on them.

If you really want to detail it, eliminate water spots and shine things up (plastic covers and rubber hoses), you can apply a foaming tire cleaner - not the liquid type, which can make a mess and attract more dirt in a hurry - after everything is clean and dry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72