Disco Lift/tire size fitment Q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

Swamper

Guys I dont currently own a disco but I have been thinking of aquiering a 99 Disco series 1 I was just wondering what size tires would I be able to fit on it with the OldManEmu lift...I own a 94 Toyota 4Runner on 33' TSL's which is awsome off-road...so Im kinda trying to stay in the same off-road performance level....any info would be greatly appreciated...oh I was also wondering what gear ration the axles came with? thanks

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your stock 99 should be about the same off-road performance level as your modded 4runner, although it won't rust as fast as the Yota'. LOL. On the D1 a little OME goes a long way. I have OME x-hd springs, too stiff for my current weight. But it does give me room for 245/75/16's. With lift you shoud change your rear drive shaft also, of it hasn't been done already. Do you still have the Roto-flex? Get rid of it, put a real drive shaft on. You will also have to keep an eye on your brake lines. If you raise it too high they will have to be replaced. Watch that your front shaft doesn't hit the sway bar. Be ready to replace it if needed. Take the Discovery out and try it in its stock form and I think that you will be pleasantly suprised! Good Luck, LRW

R

roverX

Your stock brake lines should be fine unless you are running extend length shocks. If you do the OME springs, make sure you put on new shocks too - at the same time. LR is right, a little OME lift goes a long way. Follow what he has suggested and you should be fine. You can get away with your original rear drive shaft for a few months if $ will cause you to wait on your lift. Should be real easy to install yourself. If you want to run bigger tires like you Yoda, you will need to change the gearing in the rear end. You could get away with 265/75/16's if you are willing to trim a little and change the steering stops - cheap and easy. Anything bigger and you will feel like you are driving a VW bus in first gear all the time.
Good luck and let us know when you get you Disco and what you want to do!

S

Swamper

Thanks for the advice guys....seems to be too much work just to fit 33's....all I had to do to my "modded" yota was install a 2" BodyLift besides that and tires its stock...not trashing on the rovers but thats a lot of work....ill keep researching thanks for the info though

S

Swamper

If any one has an idea how much would the extended driveshafts come out to....I reseantly read that the Disco would need a 4" lift to fit 33's so if by lifting the disco by 4" what am I looking at having to do besides extended driveshafts and break lines...I know I may have to change the gear ratio in the axles what do they come stock with?

R

roverX

Swamper - The only reason to do a lift above 3 inches on a rover is to run bigger tires. Here is the best way to run your 33's...go with a 3 inch suspension lift with a 2 inch body lift. That will give you a total of five inches. With the 3 inch suspension lift, you will have only the usual problems we have already listed. You can add the extra inches through a body lift.
By the way, if your truck wanders after the lift, just add a trutrac locker to the front. If you have vibrations, put in new drive shafts. Some examples of good lifts and drive shafts, go visit the Rovertym and Safariguard websites. You can do a ton of mods and never be done but that is all part of the fun. I have just given you some basics that will keep your rig on the road and performing like it should. If you run 33's, you will want to add 4:11 gearing to the rear along with a Detroit locker.
Also, go to www.expeditionexchange.com for some more ideas.
Hope this all helps and if you have more questions, keep asking away!

S

Swamper

Hey RoverX thank alot could you give me the websites to where I can find the suspension and body lifts whatdo u mean if the truck starts to wonder ? why would it do this?.....and 4:11's? I was thinking more like 4:88's or 5:29's thanks for the help.

R

roverX

Sometimes a rover will wander when it gets a lift, sort of like it needs an alignment. A trutrac front locker will correct that problem. Some guys say to replace the castor arms, swing arms, or whatever else but doing all that will lead to other problems. It works great for some guys and not so good for others - depends if you are willing to take the risk.
Anything higher than 4:11 will give you a really low end top speed. You will get plenty of power on the trail though! If your rig is going to be one that you trailer to the site, then go for it.
Here are a few sites:
www.rovertym.com
www.safarigard.com
www.expeditionexchange.com

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72