1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diy timing chain

Discussion in 'LR4' started by djkaosone, Jan 9, 2019.

1. djkaosone

djkaosone '11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8

I would highly recomend doing a compression test AND walnut blasting (or cleaning your valves) before adjusting your valves. If you're doing that, you'll need to know the tolerances and feeler gauge sizes to adjust the valves properly.

In other words, I wouldn't do it unless I have compression issues or bent valves.

2. AGLR4

AGLR4 Member

I checked and adjusted mine while I was doing my head gaskets recently. They were pretty much all out of spec. The tolerance is really tight so it doesn't take a lot to get out of spec. As you can see in the document attached the spec is 0.25 mm plus or minus 0.02 mm. The intake side is hydraulically adjusted so nothing to do there. The exhaust side however is mechanical and requires a new bucket for each one that is out of spec. I found a few dealerships online that sell these for about $10 a piece so less than $200 for the materials even if you have to replace them all. If you do a little math you can actually swap some of them around so that you don't have to buy all new ones.

There is definitely not an absolute right answer for everyone. Sure, out of tolerance will generate more noise, increased wear on the cams and followers, and also maybe even open the valve slightly less losing a little bit of efficiency. Over all though, the engine probably already has plenty of miles on it so the valves themselves are worn the valve seals are worn and many other components are also worn, so the gains in returning these valves to tolerances are probly minimal over all. In my case I chose to do so because I already had it all apart and was able to put in new valves and seals at the same time.

Lifting the Cam is pretty simple once the timing chain and valve cover is already off. At that point it does not represent much additional work. Get the quote and then decide what it's worth to you.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk