Diy timing chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned my 2011 LR4 since around 60,000. I assume the previous owner never installed updated guides, Based on my ears I've never heard a problem, but would also appreciate expert ears. Appreciate all everyone here offers! I could not own an LR4 without your help!

Q's LR4 Engine Timing Chain Check Jan. 2022
Timing chain tensioners sound fine, there's a weird whine though that I'm unfamiliar with that is absent in my 2010.

quirozson

Reaction score
Timing chain tensioners sound fine, there's a weird whine though that I'm unfamiliar with that is absent in my 2010.
I hear the whine. Much more pronounced on video than in the garage. Goes away around 54 seconds mark of video when engine returns to normal idle. Seems like what it’s always sounded like and I’ve owned from 60,000-120,000 miles. Maybe oil pump? I’ve meet meticulous about oil changes every 5-7500 miles

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe the high pressure fuel pump, but it's been around for as long as you owned it so it's probably not a concern. Do you have a GAP IID tool? I've read that you can check for timing chain slack with it.

My 2010 blew timing around 106k (bought it broken), the timing chain tensioner wore a good 1/4" into the tensioner guides after I was able to tear it all apart. If you have the original tensioners and guides it is inevitable due to poor design.

Last edited:

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear the whine. Much more pronounced on video than in the garage. Goes away around 54 seconds mark of video when engine returns to normal idle. Seems like what it’s always sounded like and I’ve owned from 60,000-120,000 miles. Maybe oil pump? I’ve meet meticulous about oil changes every 5-7500 miles
Did you switch oil brands? I ask because I had the timing upgraded so I know my engine is tight, when I ran mobile 1 the engine made that sound heard in your video, running the factory oil the engine is silent minus the injectors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick