Does on Flat equal 4 new tires??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ceyer

Reaction score
I have an CPO 08 LR3 SE with 38K mile on OEM GY Wrangler 255/60/18 HP 112V XL tires, Yesterday my wife was driving of the highway at 70MPH and the driver rear tire went flat...very quickly.Good News: Road side assit was there and had her back on the road in 43 mintues from time of the call, that's quick!!!! Bad news: The tire is fried it has 7 splits in the side wall (will take up issue with GY) I am being told I now need 4 new tires due to the LR3 AWD/4wd system. I was hoping to replace the one bad tire with an OEM match. Remaining 3 still had 7/32 of tread remaining. Please advise with the facts Thanks!

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace all 4 tires with something else NOW. Lots of problems reported with these tires.
Use search function to see multiple posts on this topic.

jjcooperz

Reaction score
I would replace all 4 tires with something else NOW. Lots of problems reported with these tires.
Use search function to see multiple posts on this topic.

agreed my GY gone when the car has less then 5000 miles....lol

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used tire off eBay or

Well, the prevailing view is get new tires as the HP's are not the greatest tyre Goodyear ever made - at least they are not very good on the LR3 anyway.

As such, check out Kijiji or similar as the stock sized used ones with a fair bit of tread are often listed there at a good price, like twenty dollars each. If you are summer driving on dry pavement, they are not that bad a tire and I would not be that keen to toss out the other three just yet.

I am just in the process of replacing my 4/32" GY HP's with Michelin Latitude Tour HP's for summer pavement driving and will be happy to see the Goodyear's gone, but other than lousy slippery road traction, the Goodyear's were well not unsafe I guess.

Keanan

Reaction score
Yes replace all 4 tires and your spare (5 tires total) with Mickey Thompson Baja STZ 265/60R18 ASAP!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clearly everyone thinks (knows) the OEM tires suck. If you don't want to get all 4 new tires right now, the best thing to do would be to find a used one with approximately the same tread depth as your other 3. There should be scads of used HPs because everyone gets rid of them. I don't think a few 32nds would matter a whole lot, but honestly, I don't know how deep a new HP tread is so can't comment on that.
This is a great opportunity however to replace them all with something decent.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72