Drove the new Discovery and I'm totally confused now.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, never knew that, but makes total sense. Thanks for the link.

Now I appreciate each and every single pound of my 5800 LBs of LR4 even more :)

Look at it this way:

- The LR4 is equivalent to a 3/4 ton truck
- The D5 is equivalent to newer 1/2 ton trucks and larger cross-overs..

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at it this way:

- The LR4 is equivalent to a 3/4 ton truck
- The D5 is equivalent to newer 1/2 ton trucks and larger cross-overs..

Yes. But, the existing or new boats/caravans/trailers are not equivalent to, or are conforming, to the reduced weight of the new 1/2 ton trucks and larger cross-overs, instead, they are of the same weights as they have always been :), hence the benefit of a heavier towing vehicle, specially one with an Integrated-Body Frame.

For towing (alongside comfort/handling provided by its IBF) the heavier LR3/4 will always trump any new lighter D5/cross-over/pick-up, etc, any day no matter how powerful the newer engines are in those BUVs (Bling Utility Vehicles).

As far as the safety and stability, the correct weight ratio (between the towing vehicle and whatever is being towed) will always outweigh any benefits provided by a more powerful engine regardless of whatever electro-gadgetry is being used to compensate for the lighter weight of the towing vehicle.

I mean, with your tow train, would you rather have a faster 0-60 numbers but a highly unstable train specially in windy situations, or would you prefer to have a more stable train even if your engine reached that 60 mph mark just a couple of seconds later? :)

Laws of physics, its that simple. And until we figure out how to bend or reverse-engineer those laws, it is what it is.

Last edited:

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Conclusion: It wasn't designed for anyone on this list.

I wanted to test drive the D5 diesel just for the heck of it, thinking I may want one, so about 3 months ago I told my sales guy at the LRJ dealership to call me when they get in. Come to find out while browsing their inventory yesterday, they had one on the lot. I was surprised that I didn't get a call but when I ran up to the dealership and spoke to a sales rep they said that the "LR4 Owners" are not likely to be a buyer of the d5 so the sales team isn't pushing hard to get them back on the lot, unfortunately I didn't get to drive it, but just by walking around the vehicle I conceded to the sales rep and agreed that I am not interested based on how it looks.
However....they we EXTREMELY interested in getting my LR4 back on that lot!

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bromhead,

I respectfully disagree.

I loved the D1/II, but when LR3 came out, I was stoked. Why, because the evolution of D1/II into the modern world with this LR3 was not an ordinary one by any means. This evolution and progress was one which was very intelligently designed and implement (minus some bad engineering/design choices like the mufflers running under the rear axels etc, which I had thought would be addressed in the future re-designs in the same spirit of engineering innovation).

The engineers/designers had challenged themselves and had gone to great lengths to marry that well-planted smooth highway ride offered by the independent suspension with the vertical wheel travel that the solid axels had provided, resulting in the cross-linked air-suspension, etc. They had spent time and effort to marry the advantages of the uni-body to those of ladder frame design resulting in Integrated-Body Frame. If you have any doubts about this unique IBF, park your truck on a steep incline while titled to either side, and then open any of the four doors and shut them back without any extra force.

If LR simply had followed and continued the same tradition of engineering innovation and standards, set by themselves, then today we would have had a much more capable D5 with much more refined ride, better wind tunnel performance without compromising on the interior room, and including a solution to the mufflers running under the axels problem.

If they had continued to challenge themselves, today we'd have had a solution the changing track width (a side effect of vertical wheel travel with independent suspension). If you look at LR3/LR4' rear suspension' components/hardware design, the engineers were already thinking ahead and were already on their way to coming up with a solve.

So, no. Cant speak for others here, but that ridiculous tail gate design of the new D5 which increases the truck' hight will not grow on me at least. The lack of stadium seating will not grow on me. The lack of flat cargo floor will not grow on me. The lack of panoramic views, the new restricted outside visibility due to smaller windows, and the lack of command driving position will not grow on me. The lack of 18 inch wheels will not grow on me. And most certainly, the Ford Explorer like rear end will not grow on me at all :)

'mano, you either misunderstood me or my email wasn't clear. Let me try again :) I think we are in agreement... I LOVE my LR4! I had a 97 D1 for almost twenty years, and for the last 4 it simply sat in my driveway as, except for worrying about damaging it, I couldn't think of a single reason to use it over my LR4 (with the rear locker of course). Besides whining about my brief experience with the JGK, my comment about my test drive of the D5 was simply remembering that many of us were jaded when we first heard we were dropping solid axels and the tire mounted on the back....perhaps, over time we will appreciate the D5 like we have the LR3/4. Right now, I don't see it. As you said, seating, tailgate, bland explorer like exterior styling etc are not a step in the right direction...unless you want a RR as it is certainly far more posh than what I expect for a Land Rover. I love my LR/D4 and have no plans to replace it, especially as it is paid off...but the allure of a diesel engine has always been out there for me...we will see...

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did test drive the D5 with a diesel engine and was not impressed. There seemed to be some turbo lag from a dead stop. And I didn't feel the higher torque at low rpm's like other Audi TDIs I have driven.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did test drive the D5 with a diesel engine and was not impressed. There seemed to be some turbo lag from a dead stop. And I didn't feel the higher torque at low rpm's like other Audi TDIs I have driven.

Interesting, I am hoping they beef it up by the time they come out with the defender

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel kills. Particulates are evil and is the reason why metro areas are backing away and in some cases prohibiting it.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover sees Diesel as better option than Petrol (http://autoweek.com/article/diesel/jaguar-land-rover-doubles-down-diesel), but there is a reason that Tesla is the most valuable car maker in the world despite having only a tiny fraction of a percent of total vehicle sales, the Wall St gurus are betting on EV's to be the future.

What ever happened to hydrogen vehicles, it seems that avenue is dead?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV