ECO (Auxiliary) Battery Recharge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WatchStander

Reaction score
Hello - I'm new to this forum and look forward to learning and sharing. I have a 2016 LR4 HSE. It is not my daily driver and as a consequence of that, I suspect that my ECO battery discharges prematurely. I'm getting an occasional "ECO Not Available" message on my dash.

I would like to know if I can safely connect a 2amp battery/maintainer to the battery posts of my aux battery and somehow extend its life? I want to do it with the battery connected to the vehicle. Thanks to all...looking forward to your responses. Cheers!

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello - I'm new to this forum and look forward to learning and sharing. I have a 2016 LR4 HSE. It is not my daily driver and as a consequence of that, I suspect that my ECO battery discharges prematurely. I'm getting an occasional "ECO Not Available" message on my dash.

I would like to know if I can safely connect a 2amp battery/maintainer to the battery posts of my aux battery and somehow extend its life? I want to do it with the battery connected to the vehicle. Thanks to all...looking forward to your responses. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum! Have you ever replaced the battery since you have had the it?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You can put a charger on it, but prolong its life? It is already 6 years old, I am going to say it is time to replace it.

WatchStander

Reaction score
Thanks Joey...I laughed after I read your response and re-read my post. It sure does look like I'm pinching pennies. :)

In any case, you're right...six years is a long time for a battery. That said, in addition to your reply, I have heard from others that I can put the aux battery on a trickle charger. So I intend to do that - once I replace it. I use a trickle charger on each of my other vehicles, and 1 motorcycle - no problems. However, the LR4 is the most loaded with electronics and I'm not ready to enroll in the "School of Hard Knocks" with this vehicle. Thanks for your perspective...and helping to recalibrate my thinking. Cheers!

WatchStander

Reaction score

In case anybody is interested...I did finally replace the original OEM aux battery (14Ah 200A (en)) with an Exide, model EK151, in my 2016 LR4 HSE. Used the GAP IID tool to register the 2nd battery. All went as planned (hoped). No problems.

However, in response to my first (ever) thread to this forum (quoted above), I wanted to close the loop by letting everyone know that, Yes, you can indeed place a battery maintainer/charger on the aux battery while it is in the vehicle. It worked for me. The most immediate result was resurrection of the (dreaded) ECO S/S system.

In any case, nothing fried, sparked, or died. I simply followed standard battery connection procedures before applying AC power to the charger.

For giggles, I connected the old battery to a NOCO Genius 10 Charger/maintainer and it a great job of reviving the old aux battery. Sitting on the shelf w/no load, it is holding 12.74 volts. In fairness, the battery is over 6 years old, and had dropped to approximately 10 volts prior to me changing it out, so I don't know how long it will hold its charge, but I also don't plan to re-install it, though I will continue to play and learn more from it.

Okay, hope that's helpful to anyone who may be wondering.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA