Electrical Issues?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Land Rover Disco 2. I have had if for about 3 months now and absolutely love it. However I am experiencing some minor electrical problems that are beginning to frustrate me.

Back ground...when I bought the vehicle it ran and drove great. It had a slight smell of antifreeze from the engine compartment and I had to refill the coolant every morning. It also had a slight vibration in the front. The dealer I bought it from had a 30 day engine and powertrain warranty. I took it back to them and they without question replaced the front drive line, front universals, both head gaskets as the antifreeze smell was leaking from outside of one of the heads, they took the heads to a machine shop to ensure they werent warped and the machinist said that the cylinder wall still had the original factory hull marks and the engine was very well maintained. After all was said and done I got it back and the service engine soon light began coming on and it would idle real rough. I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and the light still came on. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced all four o2 sensors and the light kept coming on then they spoke with the land rover engineers and they came to the conclusion it was the ECU because one of the O2 sensors was not getting a signal at all and they even hard wired it to the computer and it was still dead. So they replaced the ECU, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, spark plugs, plug wires and all fluids. The truck was at land rover for about 40 days. However, the service engine soon light still comes on but only if its wet outside or after about 2-3 tanks of gas. I run premium and I dont drive it like I stole it. When the light comes on now it still runs and drives great but when I have the code ran it says air flow metering system. Im guessing maybe it needs a new mass air flow sensor all together. Any suggestions?

On a lighter problem both of my power mirrors will no longer move out or in. They still move up and down. Additionally, my rear defrost still keeps blowing the fuse when I turn the switch on. I checked the connectors at the rear window, I took the door off to make sure the wires werent pinched and still nothing...any suggestions?

Last edited:

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
I am pulling a p1172 code, it says air flow metering system malfunction.

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the news symptoms now? Or is the CEL just coming on?

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
No new symptoms, the CEL just lights. As long as the weather is dry the light will stay off. Its when the roads get real wet that it will come on. It generally comes on after I have been driving in the rain and shut off the engine and then as soon as I start it back up it will come on. As long as I wait til its dry to reset it it will stay off til it rains again. I cant see any places in the intake where water might be getting in though. Im considering throwing a K&N filter on and placing some weather stripping around the edge of the breather box.

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The next time it rains, look for leaks. Sounds to me like that is your problem. Youre getting the MAF wet. Make sure everything is sealed up tight.

Ive heard good and bad about the K&Ns. Ive never personally used one, so I wouldnt know. I do know that the material they are made out of is more porous then paper filter. Seems that would let more debris thru.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that cleaning the Bosch mass air flows on the DII's is a crap shoot.(not nearly as sucessful as the lucas DI)
My '97 has a lucas & I've cleaned it & my '96 RR several times in the last four years.

Also if you use ANY oiled long life air cleaner, you'd better maintain it to the letter, as they all will foul your MAF if neglected. I'd recommend annual replacement of a good quality dry OEM style, but that's my preference.

I'll bet &5 that you are shorting a wire (MAF) when it rains (high humidity) - it's probably corroded @ a connection.

I'd inspect & clean the wires & connections end to end, you'll find it.

luck,greg

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Check to make sure you still have the O-ring between the airbox and the MAF sensor. Either way could be a bad MAF that is showing issues when raining. Remember the filament is only used on a small portion, and if build up or going bad rain will cause issues.

Power mirrors, sounds like the switch may be bad or have bad connections.

Worse case on the rear defroster you may have to run new wires, or if you feel lucky put in a 30 amp fuse and wait for the wires to burn up, then you can find the issue.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the good advice. I will be checking everything this afternoon. I couldnt find any signs of leaks anywhere in my intake and all o rings are in place.

Joey, I think your right about the power mirror switch because I found now at times it works in all positions I think I have a bad connection.

The rear defroster factory fuse is a 30 amp and it continuously blows each time I turn the rear defrost on. The led light stays lit on the switch but the fuse blows each time. Do you know which side of the body the wires for the rear defrost are routed?

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about those connections? Everything clean and clear of corrossion?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635