Engine code P0089 "fuel pressure regulator performance"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Purpledragooon

Reaction score
2015 LR4 90k miles
Recently a check engine light has been popping on. No issues while driving or performance.

Was wondering if anyone has dealt with this? Should I start with replacing the sensor?

Side note: recently had the gas tank flange replaced and this problem started soon after (not sure if this is related). When we had it replaced, we had several issues with the job. They left cables hanging down so when I turned it would slap the drive shaft. Also left a Bungie cord melted to the exhaust pipe.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BriComp

Reaction score
2015 LR4 90k miles
Recently a check engine light has been popping on. No issues while driving or performance.

Was wondering if anyone has dealt with this? Should I start with replacing the sensor?

Side note: recently had the gas tank flange replaced and this problem started soon after (not sure if this is related). When we had it replaced, we had several issues with the job. They left cables hanging down so when I turned it would slap the drive shaft. Also left a Bungie cord melted to the exhaust pipe.
2015 LR4 80k miles

Funny (or maybe not), mine showed up this week, I cleared it, 2 days later it came back. I cleared it again, and same thing - 2 days later it is back. So I assume it is real in some sense, but there are no performance or cranking issue normally seen with fuel related problems. I am wondering if it is just 'bad gas' and the next tank will fix it up.

Arman

Reaction score
2015 LR4 90k miles

Did you get it resolved?

I also had a Fuel tank recall service performed by a dealer on August 17th, and had this P0089-64 code pop up almost exactly a month later on September 19th "Fuel pressure regulator performance - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure"

I cleared it thinking it must be adjusting to the new fuel pump, and it was all good until it popped back another month later in October. Now it is intermittent (sometimes it disappears, sometimes it is on, no apparent pattern).

I found a few threads where multiple people reported having this issue after fuel tank recall:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/lr4-p0089-code-110884/page2/

I see that some people replaced their "newly installed" fuel pumps themselves, but I wonder if the dealership should warranty their recall work?
Also I see some TSB "software fix" (PCM update), but why would the error appear all of a sudden, and what this "software fix" is doing exactly is mysterious.

As others, I had no issues before the recall was performed... I wonder what in their service procedure (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCRIT-21V635-5779.pdf) for that recall is triggering the error?

Last edited:

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The P0089-64 DTC is caused by an error in the PCM software.
I'm thinking your fuel filter was probably restricted, the recall replaces the filter. Which could change the fuel volumes and pressures ever so slightly.
That being said, this doesn't happen with every fuel cap recall.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up having a shop fix my fuel tank flange back before the recall even existed. Once the recall went out they offered to reimburse me if I had the dealer do the repair again. Ive been holding off on it because of all the issues I've been hearing about. Is it even worth the headache at this point?

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up having a shop fix my fuel tank flange back before the recall even existed. Once the recall went out they offered to reimburse me if I had the dealer do the repair again. Ive been holding off on it because of all the issues I've been hearing about. Is it even worth the headache at this point?
JLR will reimburse you for the repairs.
Your local dealer will have the necessary information.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I went to the dealer they told me that even thought the problem is fixed they still have to go in and install "their" part in order for me to be eligible for the reimbursement.

You're correct. I was told that the Land Rover parts will have to be installed.
I would do that and get the reimbursement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut