engine stahl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

sgllr3

Well, s*it, I have now joined the pool of poor fools who own a legendarilly unreliable LR.

06 LR3 HSE, purchased 11/05, ~1600 miles.

Wife is driving (with daughter) on freeway (center lane on a 6 lane), stop and go, 60 miles from home. Then the car starts doing a little stop and go itself. Actually, didn't seem to accelerate when she stepped on the, well, accelerator.

So at a moment when traffic is stopped, she turns off the car, to 'reset' as seems to be the common thing on other posts. She then starts the car, but the starter kept going, and still no engine power, or power steering. Other electronics kept working. In fact, when everything was "off," and the key out of the ignition, the nav screen stayed on.

Dead in the water, err, sea of concrete.

Any Clues? Sounds electrical. One of the LR people said maybe its the gas tank thing again. Now if that's true, I will never trust anything from LR again, and they will have one big angry Mother F***er on their hands out for blood.

I know someone mentioned this in a thread earlier (stalling on an offramp) but I coulnt find it. May have been a subset of a larger thread.

Now I get to find out what my local LR service is all about! There are three LR dealerships within 30 miles of me (one about 2). But we all know that you can't get a loaner from any but the one you bought the car from. Freakin' beautiful.

So the highway patrol tells my wife that the dealer roadside service is always much slower than AAA. She calls AAA and she gets towed to the nearest LR, which is 60 miles from home, and not 'our' dealer. My wife just wanted to get my daughter off the freeway. The LR service where the car is dropped says they can't get to the car for 5-7 days. Now, since AAA towed the car, I call LR roadside and tell them to tow my car to 'our' dealer/service, that way we can also get the loaner, and its closer to home. LR's response was "we don't tow from dealer to dealer, but since there is a backlog in service, we will make an exception."

Let me tell you. If they refused, I would have drove to the car, pushed the freakin overweight beast off the lot myself, called LR back and say "now you're not towing dealer to dealer, damnit!"

Anyway, thanks for listening.

S

sgllr3

So, the service rep called today.
Said the problem is a faulty fuel level sensor, and the tank was actually empty.

hmmmm....

I'll be happy if that's it, but I'm not sure it explains the odd behavior of the starter and nav screen. Time will tell.

Other things that were 'not right' since purchase that required service:
1. wind noise/air leak from sunroof, I think.
2. faulty shoulder ******** front passenger door
3. missing plastic that covers hardware/bolt attatchment for driver sun visor

Said car should be ready tomorrow...

X

xcursion

Sure sounds like a no fuel problem. (sure hope that is the case) I wouldn't worry about the starter. Its electric so it would kept trying until the engine starts. As for the Nav screen, my stays on for a while after I pull the key out too.

S

sgllr3

I appreciate the confidence, xcursion.
But the starter kept going even after the engine started (and the key released).
I can't say how long the nav screen stayed on (I wasn't there), but it apparently was longer than usual.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My NAV screen does that. I asked and its a normal part of the shut down of the system sometimes. Everything in the car will be off, but it'll take the NAV screen several minutes to shut down...

D

dronedog

i don't know if you have them but i had what i thought was an air leak only to find it was the roof bars. they whistle at certain speeds. (maybe all the time and i only hear them at times.) the first time i noticed it i thought it was the sunroof. in fact i just tried moving them back but i could still hear them so i took them off.
Don't have the nav but it takes a couple minutes for the scrren on the radio to go out on mine.
The Dog

X

xcursion

You should ask the dealer about the starter. But it being electric and a LR3......well, it could be normal.....So long as it doesn't happen again, my guess is it didn't get the proper feedback from the engine that was short in fuel. As for the other stuff that was not right, it should be dealer correctable.

S

sgllr3

I have the car back. It is a nice vehicle. In this relationship, though, I hope it shows me more love than hate.

For the faulty fuel sensor, they replaced the entire feul tank and whatever other necessaries with it. I don't know if they NEED to change the whole thing for a sensor, but they did, or there's something else they're not telling me. And "did I forget to mention?", somewhere along the way in service my battery went dead. They recharged it, but they also had to reboot software...

The nav screen shuts off as soon as the key is out.

The missing visor cap and right seat belt shoulder strap are replaced.

The formal response to the wind noise was the roof rack, to which I replied "noooo...."
Pre-purchase I was aware of probable wind noise from the roof rack. It was dealer installed at the time of sale. For the first 2 weeks or so, complete cabin silence except for mild road noise at freeway speed. Then I opened the sunroof. After that there is an air whistle most noticeable at about 45 mph, all windows closed. I cannot say with certainty the noise comes from the sunroof, or that it started immediately after the first time I opened it. I just know the noise was not present in the initial weeks of use. They said they'd look at it again anytime I want.

On the way home I reset the trip computer (all freeway): 18-20mpg, 65-75mph That's assuming that all the electronics are working properly........
And who REALLY travels that slow anyway.

D

dronedog

i am not sure what wind noise you hear but the first two trips with my roof racks, i did not hear them but then i started hearing this whistle. it sounded like it was coing from the sunroof. i tried moving them back and drove around but did not hear anything. thought the problem was solved but the next time i drove, the whistle was back. removed the racks, it is gone. it doesn't take much to get them off so i would try the car without them. 45mph was about where mine would start to whistle.
The Dog

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo