Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's another Dumb question, while I know I can look up the facts, I'm looking for opinion. Are you guys going with Passenger (P) or Light Truck (LT) tires? I'm leaning more towards the P for the ratings and ride. It seems for true off road durability the LT is usually stronger, but I'm sure the ride would suffer. Lets face it, we want the very best of both worlds. Opinions?
I am closely following this thread because I am very curious to see which route you take with the tires. As you know, I have the 265/65R18 BFG K/O ATs and I love them so far. I would have liked to have gone a bit bigger, but I did not want to raise the height (at least right now) or modify the wheel wells. I also did not want to have any rubbing. In the 265/65R18 size, per my personal biased opinion, the BFGs are probably the most rugged looking, have the highest load rating, are an LT tire, but the speed rating isn't that great. I think the GY Wranger Silent Armor and Toyos are probably better on the road and just as capable. I think a lot of this comes down to what you want - is it true capability off road, where you will sacrifice on the road, looks, etc.

For me, I don't care about on the road ride much. I want a nice ride, but I am fine with it driving like a truck. I think my BFGs drive just as nice as when I had street tires, I don't notice much difference (though I am not picky). I would imagine that since you are wanting to go bigger and beefier, then likely the LTs will dominate? You hit the trails a lot I think so I'd go with LT myself.

I think you are our guinea pig in some ways! :) Best of luck and keep us posted.

-David

michal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on 265/65r18 (BFGs to be exact) but was wondering if anyone has experienced any rubbing when in Access Mode. I have a very low access garage and thus can enter only in access height....

Thanks a lot for any insight.

Michal

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on 265/65r18 (BFGs to be exact) but was wondering if anyone has experienced any rubbing when in Access Mode. I have a very low access garage and thus can enter only in access height....

Michal
Hey Michal,

I just sent you an e-mail with more information...... Brandon has the same wheel/tire combo, but he runs Johnson rods full time.

-David

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Michal

Not sure if you got your answer to this already.... but for me, I can't really use access height. I suppose it depends on the wheels you go with. My wheels have a low offset, so I run Johnson Rods all the time to avoid rubbing in normal height. I can drop into access height, but I can't turn the wheels much before the rubbing begins. I personally do not drop into access height to do anything other than pull straight into a garage or make getting in/out of the truck easier for a passenger.

Brandon

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Michal

Just ordered the Hankook Dynapro RF10 ATm in 265/65R18.
I only read great things about them (even on snow).

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the Hankook Dynapro RF10 ATm in 265/65R18.
I only read great things about them (even on snow).
Congratulations! I think those tires will be great. Can't wait to hear more.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Added a couple pictures in the show off thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 280

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Five new Compromotive P1880s are scheduled to arrive at my doorstep this morning and I still haven't decided on the tire size. I really want to try out the 275/65/18 but I'm afraid that they'll rub quite a bit. I'm still trolling for anyone with a setup like this. By the way, I installed the Magnaflow Cat-Back this weekend. Sounds and runs great.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am definitely eager for my current 285/60 to wear out so i can go a little bigger!! First time i have wanted to burn a set of tires ;)

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expat93- I'm really hoping you try the 275/65/18's! Is there any way to order one to test fit before you order four more?

Kaaae- Me too... But I have a feeling these Load Range E BFG's will last a while. Hoping to throw on some 275/65/18 Toyo MT's after the summer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi