Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. What I would like to know is if he has done anything to his bump stops in-case he has a system failure. Those a really big tires and would certainly do lots of damage to those fender wells.
That's one of my fears. I think I am more afraid of a major catastrophe with my LR4 than I am anything else.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to transfer funds for Compos. Gonna go with the BFG 265 65 18, thanks to all for the great feedback. Is anyone running an auxiliary compressor for airing up? I popped the hood on our 2014 this morning looking for battery leads... Ha I guess I have to start taking plastic off. The compressor I want is rated at 30 amps max and has clamps that will attach directly to battery. With all the sensitive electronics on this vehicle, I'm wondering if I should buy an extra battery for the rear storage area rather than deal with the plastic cover every time. Any one running an aux air compressor setup? Ideas?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to transfer funds for Compos. Gonna go with the BFG 265 65 18, thanks to all for the great feedback. Is anyone running an auxiliary compressor for airing up? I popped the hood on our 2014 this morning looking for battery leads... Ha I guess I have to start taking plastic off. The compressor I want is rated at 30 amps max and has clamps that will attach directly to battery. With all the sensitive electronics on this vehicle, I'm wondering if I should buy an extra battery for the rear storage area rather than deal with the plastic cover every time. Any one running an aux air compressor setup? Ideas?
Awesome! I have the BFG 265/65R18 set up and love it - you won't be sorry. I am very curious to see a photo of your rig after you get the wheels/tires installed, it'll be the first 2014 that I've seen with the set up.

I am glad you asked the question because I would love to have an on-board air set up as well. I have a few compressors I carry with me, but would like something more permanent.

I know a few folks on the forum have a second battery and used the traxide kit. Not sure about a second battery in the rear? I know I have seen something posted about a second battery in the back cargo area.

Keep us posted!

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well, Waterndirt. If you don't get your answer here, try making a new thread. Just a note... I have never had to air down my BFG's. Most of my off-roading is clay and mud, but I have not had any issues going over soft sand with 40-44ish PSI. Of course, if I planned on a full day of beach driving, yes, I would air down and onboard air would be very handy. You'll love these tires, definitely post up some pics!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, i went with a VIAIR 450P and I want to do the Traxide dual batt kit soon and wire up some type of terminals in the cargo area for clamp on type things, like the compressor. I will probably just run another larger gauge cable along side the kits included 12v cig plug.

When I was looking into a fixed mount option, I didnt see anything that looked great. The VIAIR units all look like they could easily be mounted that way, but they say they are not made for that, the heat or the wear or something. I figured having it portable could be handy. It would also be nice to be able to run it of my aux battery without even popping the hood, just run it out the back where its stored with all my other crap.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, i went with a VIAIR 450P and I want to do the Traxide dual batt kit soon and wire up some type of terminals in the cargo area for clamp on type things, like the compressor. I will probably just run another larger gauge cable along side the kits included 12v cig plug.

When I was looking into a fixed mount option, I didnt see anything that looked great. The VIAIR units all look like they could easily be mounted that way, but they say they are not made for that, the heat or the wear or something. I figured having it portable could be handy. It would also be nice to be able to run it of my aux battery without even popping the hood, just run it out the back where its stored with all my other crap.
I completely agree. I currently have a plug-in portable compressor and one that hooks directly to my battery (alligator clips). I can't use the 12V plug ones because they blow my fuse when trying to air up my BFGs. I find that even with my powerful portable air compressor, it takes a while to pump up my tires.

I am interested in a set up like you are describing.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often do you guys air up in any given month?!? I do maybe once, hardly worth the hassle of finding a permanent mount for a compressor or installing remote battery terminals for marginally quicker access to the power supply... Only takes 30 seconds to pop off the hood and battery cover to get to the terminals, whether the factory one or the one on the other side of the engine if you run an auxiliary battery setup. I like my compressor to stay portable under the seats anyway (in case a fellow rider needs to borrow it, or if it breaks...), I know Viair makes a more compact version of their wonderful 450P that can be hardwired and mounted, but I don't much see the point for my type of use - and I couldn't find an obvious place to mount it in my LR4.

Last edited:

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often do you guys air up in any given month?!? I do maybe once, hardly worth the hassle of finding a permanent mount for a compressor or installing remote battery terminals for marginally quicker access to the power supply... Only takes 30 seconds to pop off the hood and battery cover to get to the terminals, whether the factory one or the one on the other side of the engine if you run an auxiliary battery setup. I like my compressor to stay portable under the seats anyway (in case a fellow rider needs to borrow it, or if it breaks...), I know Viair makes a more compact version of their wonderful 450P that can be hardwired and mounted, but I don't much see the point for my type of use - and I couldn't find an obvious place to mount it in my LR4.

I'm worried about putting an additional load on the battery and risk screwing up the gobs of electronics. I guess at the end of the day, that's what the battery is for.

I did manage to open up all the covers over the weekend and the "spare battery compartment" is practically full. There's an additional small battery and controller of some sort.

Lastly, what is transport time to US for 5 Compos? I transferred monies this morning. Shipment should be on Feb 20th.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9