Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Conley

Reaction score
Approaching 90k on my 2012, bought used about 6 months ago. Anyone have an extended warranty through a 3rd party like Carchex or Car Shield?

Thanks

CompassRT

Reaction score
The Toyota dealership where I bought my 2011 from wanted $12k for a four-year bumper to bumper extended warranty, lol.

double 0

Reaction score
So I bought my 2011 about 22 months ago with 69k miles. Paid $4500 for the Red Shield Premier Plus (their top of the line) for 4 years/48k miles. It is *pretty much* bumper-to-bumper.

1. It did not cover my crossover pipes replacement since they were plastic parts. That was a bummer denial - cost about $1300.
2. Paid for rear wiper motor.
3. Paid for LCA bushings.
4. Paid for 1 stuck injector (I had the other 3 in the bank replaced along with the spark plugs, but the $700 labor was covered since they were already in there).

- I feel I am getting good value and peace of mind with this warranty. Seems like I'm checking the boxes of the known issues with this truck. But you need to weigh what has already been done. But seemingly the 2 potential remaining biggies for me are:
- In case the timing belt guides go, it is covered
- If the air suspension goes, it is covered

Sorry to save the bad news for the end. The warranty turns into a pumpkin at 100k. Then it's just powertrain only. Obviously still a good deal for me - I'm still only at 77k. But I know you are at 90k. Not sure if they will go further for more $$.

Good luck.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find the proliferation of warranty offerings on old high mileage vehicles amazing. These warranties must pay out less than they charge to make it a viable business. With the amount of "stuff" that can crop up I am surprised that there are companies offering coverage. Then again in my LR4s 10 year 115k life it has only had a water pump fail and I replaced the control arms. All the other stuff was consumables.

kenk

Reaction score
I purchased a 2010 LR4 with 93k miles in June 2019 and got a 3 year/36k warranty from Gold Standard Automotive Network from the used car dealer for $3200. So far has about paid for itself. New LCA bushings, radiator, water pump, alternator, $200 towards new brake rotors plus one or two smaller items. It didn’t pay for any new hoses nor an emergency parking brake.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 2010 LR4 with 93k miles in June 2019 and got a 3 year/36k warranty from Gold Standard Automotive Network from the used car dealer for $3200. So far has about paid for itself. New LCA bushings, radiator, water pump, alternator, $200 towards new brake rotors plus one or two smaller items. It didn’t pay for any new hoses nor an emergency parking brake.

Seems like a decent if not really good deal all around. Getting anything at all towards the brakes is a bonus on these rotor-munching beasts.

Michael Conley

Reaction score

Did all those fail or we're you able to have it covered as "just to be safe"?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72