First Oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schampion

Reaction score
Info
2013 LR4 HSE
1300 or so miles.

1. When should the first oil change occur?
2. What non dealer oil can be used?
3. Can I change the oil my self and maintain the 50k/5 years?

Thanks!

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change mine every 7500 miles.... At the dealership...

schampion

Reaction score
Thanks Kaaae!

I was planning on a oil analysis to determine the miles but i cant find info on the first oil change.

If the dealer gives me fits about doing the change early i will do it myself. Whats critical about that part is that I use the correct oil specs and parts so i can maintain the 50/5.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can change the oil yourself, but once you get the service light warning, you'll have no choice but to have the dealer reset that indicator... and therefore, you might as well just have them do the oil change then.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I picked up mr LR4, they said oil change at earlier of 12 months or 15,000 miles. I'm at 1,700 miles now.

Anyone know if the change oil light can be reset by other garages, Jiffy Lube, etc?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I picked up mr LR4, they said oil change at earlier of 12 months or 15,000 miles. I'm at 1,700 miles now.

Anyone know if the change oil light can be reset by other garages, Jiffy Lube, etc?

I live here in San Francisco and called a dozen or more indie places to find out if they could reset the light and no one could. Only the dealer can from my research and others on this board... unless someone knows a good inside somewhere else.

Also, a lot of indies don't carry the oil and that was an issue too.

My wife has a '12 Mercedes and she can take it pretty much anywhere for an oil change and yes, they also reset the light.

She recently had her car serviced (10,000 miles, oil, filters, top fluids, yada-yada-do) at Top Line just south of San Francisco (very good shop) and they charged her $163 USD... Mercedes wanted $310 for the same exact job. Yeah, sure... at Merc you get a loaner car and stuff... but honestly, getting the loaner can be a bigger pain in the rear end than just dropping it off and hitching a ride with a co-worker.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live here in San Francisco and called a dozen or more indie places to find out if they could reset the light and no one could. Only the dealer can from my research and others on this board... unless someone knows a good inside somewhere else.

FYI, the beta version of IIDTool I am testing on my 2013 LR4 allows Service Interval Indicator reset. :smile:

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So no info so far as to the other oils i can use?

Search the forum for oil change as I believe this topic came up in multiple threads in the past with the specific oil brand that our LR4 uses.

There are other topics around maintenance that may be helpful to you if you're a new owner...search is a good way to start learning about this awesome vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo