First Oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the 2013 manual:

ENGINE OIL SPECIFICATION
Use only 5W-20 oil meeting specification WSS-M2C925-A only.
Land Rover recommends: Castrol

In an emergency, if oil of the above specification is unavailable, the engine can be topped up using a maximum of 2 U.S. pints (1 liter) of 5W-20 oil meeting specification ILSACGF-4 API SM.

So no info so far as to the other oils i can use?

schampion

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I have been searching quite a bit. I also did many searches on bob the oil guy. What I am really looking for is...

example!
1. 500 miles for first oil change DIY
2. AMSOIL etc 5w20 etc
3. Warrenty is safe just keep records.

I have been doing my own maintianace for the last 20 years ( Audi,Porsche,VW,LR,Volvo) Only car I havent done is my 2011 BMW as the dealer does that one.

For all of the above I was able to find info on the break in period easily and the recommendation for oil brands etc very easily. I am supprise that there is not a sticky on this.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the Owner's Handbook was pretty clear on this.

1 - First oil change is due at 12 months or 15K miles, whichever occurs first and unless your vehicle is routinely driven in stop-and-go, dusty, extreme temperatures conditions, or pulling trailers (in which case you cut that service interval in half.)

2 - Land Rover recommends a Castrol oil currently available only at JLR dealers. However, in the manual they also say that 5W-20 oil meeting specifications WSS-M2C925-A and ILSACGF-4 may be used. A quick internet search returns Mobil 1 5W-20 as meeting or exceeding those specs, therefore you should use that one (there may be others) without voiding any warranties.

3 - That's been a gray area ever since car manufacturer warranties were invented. :biggrin: You should be safe by doing oil changes yourself and keeping records of oil used etc, unless the dealer says you did it wrong and your engine melted down because of it...

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover has really gone out of the way to make sure its a pain to DIY oil change.

1. Service light reset, only by dealer
2. Some specific oil, only at dealer (although this is BS, mobil 1 would be fine)
3. vacuum based oil removal (but drain plug is a pain to get to anyway)

The only good thing about it is the 15k mile interval, that is very nice.

schampion

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies.

From my limited experience what is in the manual and what is actually needed can be very different. What i am interested is for long term ownership not the quick and cheap.

A great example of this is the so called transmission fluid that will last forever. What a joke. I think its common practice to change it at an interval other than what is specified in the manual or the dealer information.

For my 2005 VW it was 30k recommend by owners to maintain it for long term ownership. i did it even though i planned to trade it in. Why? Because I hate to pass this on to someone who is going to depend on it.

I plan on keeping the LR4 for the foreseeable future unless it gets smashed up.

Typically in forums you would see a sticky with a comparison of what is in the book and what is really recommended for long term ownership. I would have thought that LR owners would be more of a long term ownership crowd then Audi/BMW/VW. I would do it if I could collect the data. Maybe I will and make a sticky?

mosan021975

Reaction score
30,000 mile service for 2010 lr4

Does anyone know how much it cost for a 30,000 mile service? A local dealership gave me a price of $1400 but that sounds crazy to me considering I've been driving landrovers since 2003 and never have I payed that much.

schampion

Reaction score
What did they say it needs? 30k service means different things to different folks.

If its a rough estimate I would ask them what it includes. I have tried to get stuff excluded but the economy of scale isnt what it should be. Oh well.

With out knowing whats included you cant say. I know the oil change is $$$ for some reason. At the end of the day its a cost/your time decision. For me its more of a enjoyable process to do it myself so I let the dealer do what isnt enjoyable.

Any thoughts on the origional post?

Either way good luck.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts:

I've replaced oil and filter on my 2006 RRS every 7500 miles, as recommended by Land Rover (I drive lots of miles and hit 7500 every 3 - 3.5 months on average... My new car warranty is gonna be up in less than 2 years!) However, the 4.4 liter on my 2006 - shared with the LR3 - doesn't use the fancy synthetic oil of the new 5-liter engines, so I can understand the longer service interval.

I've replaced rear locking differential oil and x-fer case fluids on my Sport every 75K miles (as recommended by Land Rover), center diff and transmission fluids once at 120K (Land Rover recommends every 10 years or 150K miles, even on the new LR4. It's not a "sealed for life" tranny, although for most owners it might as well be with such a high service interval...) Every other item on the service schedule was checked / replaced per Land Rover's recommended schedule, I didn't stray that much. It's worked just fine for me, I have 210K miles on my Sport and its engine, transmission, transfer case and differentials are still the original ones and have been completely trouble free. I've had some problems with suspensions over the years (replaced a couple of shocks, a truckload of front and rear sway bar bushings, LCAs once, and an EAS compressor back when the car was still under warranty), some other minor body hardware and various electronic gremlins, but nothing out of the ordinary for a high mileage car such as mine. Overall, my RRS has been - and still is - a fantastic, reliable car.

For my new LR4 I think I'll stick to Land Rover's recommended schedule of 15K miles between oil changes personally (which will mean about every 6 - 7 months for me.) 90% of my mileage is from freeway and city driving, I don't race 24/7, drive in mild temperatures pretty much year round, don't pull any trailers and I go off-road perhaps every couple of months, tops. No arduous conditions for me. I'll have all scheduled and unscheduled services performed by a local indy Land Rover mechanic, a former JLR Master tech who opened his own shop: He charges 20 to 40% less than a stealer here in So Cal, uses original parts and has all kind of official and "unofficial" diagnostic tools available in his shop if necessary. Most of all, I trust him. I don't plan on visiting a dealer except for the first freebie at 15K miles and any warranty or recall work thereafter. Based on past experiences, I just don't trust any of them and I think they are ridiculously overpriced. I am lucky to have several competent independent mechanics specializing in Land Rovers in my area, many other owners are probably not so lucky. I'd love to perform my own tune-ups, but I just don't have the space or time to do it. If you do, that's great.

Your mileage may vary.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo