First post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rctaylor

Reaction score
I'm the proud new owner of a 1999 DII with 75K miles on it. Came over from the 4Runner world and I can't believe I haven't owned a Rover before. Great driving experience! So far the Disco hasn't gone anywhere my 1987 4Runner went off road but with alot more STYLE. My Rover is running great but I get concerned reading about all these problems folks have with their Disco's. Am I just lucky so far or am I going to get slammed here before long with major repairs? You read so much about Disco problems but so far mine is great. Can I expect this to keep up? Thanks for all the great information here. I look forward to reading and posting on a regular basis.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. When it comes to Rovers, first keep in mind that they are hand built, not machine built. So you will have the human factor involved in you vehicle. That is why they haver personalities like you and I.

If you keep the basics up to date and let it get muddy once in a while you will keep your rover happy. But if you let is sit for long periods of time and don't let it get out and play you may have issues.

Ok, you could have problems either way, but basic maintenance and maybe preventive maintenance is more important then anything else with it comes to a rover.

Don't ever let it overheat and change the fluids often and you should be fine.

rctaylor

Reaction score
Which fluids?

Other than oil, which fluids should be replaced and how often? I'm glad to hear about keeping up with the maintenance should make a difference. I had a friend who had a Defender who started to have problems have he let if sit awhile unused. He said that when he was driving regularly he had no problems. After he went to intermittment driving, it seemed like every time he turned on the car he was paying $500 for some repair. I drive every day and love to get the Rover off road. So far the Disco, named "Wilbur", is purring beautifully.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Fluids include:

Anti-freeze = every 3 years (approx)
Differential fluids = every year
Transfer case = every year
Transmission = every year
Brake fluid = every year

Sounds like a lot, but trust me if you want it to last and run well there you have my opinion.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99