Front passenger axle threads stripped by axle nut...looking for advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marco Pizzolo

Reaction score
Hello Forum Members,

Happy New Year!

I'm hoping you may have some insight you can share on my current dilemma.

I was replacing the front lower control arms, and had no issues on the driver side, but had a tough time on the passenger side. I was unable to knock the axle out, and in the process I must have damaged the first thread or two on the axle. With some determination I was able to get the LCA out and the new one in all the same, so i thought i was in the clear. I put the new axle nut on, used my impact wrench and started putting the new nut on. I found the nut wasn't going in all the way, and then tried torqueing manually to 170, but saw that it was spinning pretty freely. Long story short, and I should have known better, the nut threads were stripped. Removing the bolt revealed that the axle threads were stripped as well. I could understand the first, but definitely was not expecting the latter.

The LR4 is a not a primary vehicle for us, and truth be told I'm missing the garage bay with the winter, so I'm just as happy to sell it. I'm considering either selling it as is, or depending on level of effort to replace the axle, fixing it first to get a reasonable price for the vehicle.

Any advice or info you can share on cost/level of difficulty on the repair, especially knowing that it's not easily knocked out would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Marco

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axle shafts seem to be about $355. Looking at the install videos on YouTube, it doesn't seem awful, but it also seems like it can be a pain.

When I replaced my control arms I didn't pull the axle nut off, didn't want to screw around with it. Makes getting the control arms off a bit harder though.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marco, any chance you can post a photo of the damage?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much cheaper at AutoZone and carry a lifetime warranty (if you weren't selling the truck). You will need the axle seal as well.

Driver side:
Screenshot_20210101-203355.png

Passenger side:
Screenshot_20210101-203348.png

Axle seal:
TZB500050

Marco Pizzolo

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses and apologies for the delay in responding back but a few things came up. I've attached a picture illustrating the thread issue. I've not had the chance to look up any videos on the half shaft replacement, which i'll definitely see if i can find, but I was hoping someone may know how the inboard side of the half shaft is secured. As i was mentioning, the outboard side appears to be rusted/seized in place, so I was considering cutting through the half shaft to allow for more aggressive removal without impacting the inboard side. I'm hoping this would also dramatically ease the removal of the inboard side, but am not sure how it is being retained in place. Again, any insight from someone that has had to replace them for any reason would be hugely beneficial. If there's an alternative way that I'm not considering, I'm open to all suggestions and guidance.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and try to help.

Marco
IMG_2160[1].JPG

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the photo, that is helpful. I don't think that is fixable... those threads are munched pretty good.

I don't know how the inboard side is retained, but since we can't access the inboard end (AFAIK), I suspect it simply presses out? Other forum members who have actually done the job should be able to chime in. Are you using the factory manual? Should be info in there as well, although it's not always detailed.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inboard side is the second AutoZone picture I posted. The long shaft transverse through the axle carrier into the front diff. No different than any other axle, it is held in place by a circlip inside the front diff.

The issue (hard part) will be reinstall. You need to be careful feeding that long shaft through the axle carrier, as your new axle seal is on the outside closest to the hub. There is a pretty good chance of not inserting perfectly straight and messing up the axle seal.

That being said, look for the replacement seal that has the red cover (you'll see when you Google the part number I supplied earlier). In the workshop manual, this cover opens, but the hard plastic lip stays in place as you pass the axle through it. Once the circlip engages, you remove the red plastic entirely (looks like it breaks apart).

Hope that helps and good luck!

Marco Pizzolo

Reaction score
Thanks gsxr and Michael Gain.
I'll have to educate myself on the process to ensure it's something I can take on before I start.

Really appreciate your input...

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
L8 sells a heavy duty set for about $4Kish...:)

I'm dying for somebody to get them and give a review. I want them, but $4K, sheesh.

I don't remember who posted it, but there was a fairly detailed thread on replacing the front shafts on here. IIRC, the poster devised a sort of slide hammer arrangement to pop them out. That thread also confirmed that they are retained by a circlip that just requires some persuasive force to overcome.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72