Front & Rear Lamp Guards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am going to order the front and rear lamp guards before my new LR4 arrives and saw this on eBay. It looks like a company out of Hong Kong, but it looks like they replicate OEM parts.

Anyone have experience with them? Even though it's a lot cheaper, I am not going to take a chance, just curious:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item460999253b&vxp=mtr

Regards, David

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The product description says plastic. They probably won't last.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim-in-ca,

The OEM ones are also a hard plastic. I wish they were metal.

-David

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never knew that ... For what they charge, they SHOULD be metal!!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never knew that ... For what they charge, they SHOULD be metal!!
I totally agree buddy. They look nice, but are just plastic - definitely not much protection. They also tend to fade and get brittle so that's why that cheaper price looked good, but just not sure if the quality is worse than the OEM product.

I can't believe no after market company has made these in metal.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought and installed the rear OEM guards (the front ones are technically illegal here in California and many other states, which is why dealers don't sell them in the US. You can get them on eBay or from suppliers abroad.) The original articles are made in China, so the knockoffs from Hong Kong are likely to be an improvement. :biggrin:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought and installed the rear OEM guards (the front ones are technically illegal here in California and many other states, which is why dealers don't sell them in the US. You can get them on eBay or from suppliers abroad.) The original articles are made in China, so the knockoffs from Hong Kong are likely to be an improvement. :biggrin:
Hey umbertob,

I currently have the front and rear lamp guards, but actually did not realize (though I thought I heard something) that the front guards were illegal in CA (and other states). I purchased them on eBay. Does it have to do with the air bag deployment?

I know the rear guards look great on the Firenze Red and Fuji White vehicles, but wonder how the front lamp guards look with the black design package (i.e., slightly different blacks next to each other)? Do you have any plans of getting them? If not, is it because they are illegal?

For now, I think I will hold off on the front guards and try to find some photos to see how it looks - then there is the issue with them being illegal.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's a law about not obstructing headlights of non-recreational vehicles with anything that could impair their on-road performance, such as guards, grills, etc. I am sure it's not enforced much, but it's out there. Dealers don't stock those front guards.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's a law about not obstructing headlights of non-recreational vehicles with anything that could impair their on-road performance, such as guards, grills, etc. I am sure it's not enforced much, but it's out there. Dealers don't stock those front guards.
It's likely never enforced much, especially since these are rather discreet (look stock).

I just wonder about how they will look against the all-black grill?

I am definitely ordering the back ones, but up in the air about the front. I sort of like it without them - a pain in the butt to clean around.

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, when I see LR4s with just rear guards it looks odd. The front guards are illegal, along with stone guards, and plastic headlight covers, etc. It's just a silly law if you ask me. They are legal though for off-road.

I'd be weary of anything not OEM. The plastic is pliable and flexible with the OEMs, but they are expensive. Not sure about non-OEM... but anything out of China would scare me. So many rip-off products. They could be made of hard plastic and break easily. Or just a poorly mixed plastic. God knows.

Why aren't you keeping the ones from your current LR4? The flat-black might conflict, but you can't really paint them, as it won't stick and if you primer and the paint sticks, any flex in the plastic will cause cracking.

One other note, the OEM guards fade a little, or at least look more flat-black as they age, and personally, get tired looking so it might be something you opt out of completely. I've taken my guards off just for a change and the LR4 looks great... but then I get bored with the stock look and put them back on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM