Front & Rear Lamp Guards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, when I see LR4s with just rear guards it looks odd. The front guards are illegal, along with stone guards, and plastic headlight covers, etc. It's just a silly law if you ask me. They are legal though for off-road.

I'd be weary of anything not OEM. The plastic is pliable and flexible with the OEMs, but they are expensive. Not sure about non-OEM... but anything out of China would scare me. So many rip-off products. They could be made of hard plastic and break easily. Or just a poorly mixed plastic. God knows.

Why aren't you keeping the ones from your current LR4? The flat-black might conflict, but you can't really paint them, as it won't stick and if you primer and the paint sticks, any flex in the plastic will cause cracking.

One other note, the OEM guards fade a little, or at least look more flat-black as they age, and personally, get tired looking so it might be something you opt out of completely. I've taken my guards off just for a change and the LR4 looks great... but then I get bored with the stock look and put them back on.
Hey Count,

I know what you mean, as it does look a little odd to have rear, but not front lamp guards. However, it is a bit different with the black design package. Since the entire front grill of my new Fuji White LR4 will be a more satin black, it might look a bit odd with the front lamp guards unless I paint them. I know someone with a white LR4 who bought the OEM black grill (same used on the black design pack and former Metropolis edition) and he removed the front head lamp guards because it just looked weird.

You actually can paint them and they come out quite nicely. I just gave them a very light sanding and then used a primer-based matte black paint and they look awesome. They coated quite well and seem to resist cracking or anything. I did not paint my rear guards, but rather used forever black and it brightened them right up. Unfortunately, while I was sanding my front guards, I broke off a clip. It still works great, but since I am getting a new truck, I want new guards (I am sure you relate to that - hehe).

I am also very nervous about non-OEM parts, even though they may actually be better than the made in China OEM ones.

Here is a photo of the front of the new LR4 - I am still up in the air about the front guards. I think they will likely look great, but I may just want to keep the front open since it's pretty sweet looking. What do you think - yes or no?

-David

front2_zps21b00bfe.jpg

Front-Lettering_zps85bf3930.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first "vane" thing I did to my Black pack LR4 was replacing both front and rear LR ovals, on grille and above license plate respectively, from the factory green / gold (as per above photos) to black / silver. I appreciate Land Rover sticking to its storied original logo, even on their newest 2014 RRS and RR the green oval is back with a vengeance, but on a black grille I didn't care for it.

I think the front end looks plenty sharp w/o light guards myself. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Count,

I know what you mean, as it does look a little odd to have rear, but not front lamp guards. However, it is a bit different with the black design package. Since the entire front grill of my new Fuji White LR4 will be a more satin black, it might look a bit odd with the front lamp guards unless I paint them. I know someone with a white LR4 who bought the OEM black grill (same used on the black design pack and former Metropolis edition) and he removed the front head lamp guards because it just looked weird.

You actually can paint them and they come out quite nicely. I just gave them a very light sanding and then used a primer-based matte black paint and they look awesome. They coated quite well and seem to resist cracking or anything. I did not paint my rear guards, but rather used forever black and it brightened them right up. Unfortunately, while I was sanding my front guards, I broke off a clip. It still works great, but since I am getting a new truck, I want new guards (I am sure you relate to that - hehe).

I am also very nervous about non-OEM parts, even though they may actually be better than the made in China OEM ones.

Here is a photo of the front of the new LR4 - I am still up in the air about the front guards. I think they will likely look great, but I may just want to keep the front open since it's pretty sweet looking. What do you think - yes or no?

-David

front2_zps21b00bfe.jpg

Front-Lettering_zps85bf3930.jpg

I can't believe you painted them. That's great to know it worked out - you have me thinking. If I get the RRS and do the guards, painting them to match the grill/side vents would be awesome.

Those pics looks great... man, what a sweet ride. Personally, after seeing these pics, I'd go without the guards. Natural or flat black paint wouldn't look right at all.

If you do go with the non-OEM ones, you can mess around with them and since they're not over the top expensive you can totally experiment. I wonder what they'd look like painted that nice gloss black. I think if the guards matched that grill they'd look a thousand times better.

Haha, I didn't know the OEM ones were made in China. But not surprised, considering. I do like though that the rubber mats are made in Sweden.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe you painted them. That's great to know it worked out - you have me thinking. If I get the RRS and do the guards, painting them to match the grill/side vents would be awesome.

Those pics looks great... man, what a sweet ride. Personally, after seeing these pics, I'd go without the guards. Natural or flat black paint wouldn't look right at all.

If you do go with the non-OEM ones, you can mess around with them and since they're not over the top expensive you can totally experiment. I wonder what they'd look like painted that nice gloss black. I think if the guards matched that grill they'd look a thousand times better.

Haha, I didn't know the OEM ones were made in China. But not surprised, considering. I do like though that the rubber mats are made in Sweden.
Hey Count,

I completely agree. If I go with the front head light colors then I would definitely need to paint them a more semi-gloss color to match the black grill/surrounding body. Because the black of the head lamp guard would basically be right next to the semi-gloss black body, it would just look kind of silly in the OEM color. I think the outside outline of the black guard would look nice and complete the look, but I have to make sure the guards are painted correctly. Maybe it's good to just get the non-OEM ones and see how well they work - it might be good quality. Even so, if I go with the OEM ones, i will likely paint both the rear and front sets the same color. I may even spend the $100 additional dollars and have them professionally painted at my favorite body shop that did my current grill. Since I am likely keeping this truck long-term, I don't want to skimp. With all that said, I am still not convinced that the guards will look that good in the front.

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you get the set from that HK dealer at that price, it's worth experimenting.

The front though looks super nice as is. The front guards, even if painted to match, might take away from that continuity. Your new LR4 is going to look so nice.

I love that bold LAND ROVER on the Fuji White hood.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you get the set from that HK dealer at that price, it's worth experimenting.

The front though looks super nice as is. The front guards, even if painted to match, might take away from that continuity. Your new LR4 is going to look so nice.

I love that bold LAND ROVER on the Fuji White hood.
I know what you mean about the front guards taking away from the continuity of the front of the LR4 when it has the black design package trim. Like I said, I've seen one Fuji White LR4 with the black Metropolis grill (same as the black design package) and the front guards looked odd - enough where he removed them. With the standard silver grill or only the grill painted (like I have now), they look great.

The pictures just do not do the Fuji White with black design justice - it is really a beautiful combination. In person, it looks awesome - the black trim really stands out on the Fuji White truck.

I will continue to think about it and experiment a bit, and of course, likely post photos before and after once I get my truck. Luckily the front guards are easy to install and do not require drilling.

-David

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM