fuel Cap loose warning...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had the fuel cap loose or missing warning since saturday after an attempted fill up. (Debit Card wouldn't work) I think ill fill up the tank and reset the battery. Normally these just go away on my other euro machines. :stupid: Any thoughts?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....should eventually go away as well.

It may take a week or so, but yes, most often the fuel cap warning goes away by itself. And yes, you may as well just go ahead and fill the tank up as usual and then be certain the cap is on as you usually do.

My wifes 2005 4Motion Passat requires that you go to the dealer for reset but for some reason, Land Rover passed on this revenue opportunity.

n1keaddict

Reaction score
I've been battling this too...

I've had this issue for many months now... :argh: It happens to me either when I get it washed or I'm close to a fill up. Its actually on right now (showing the 'i' - information on dash) and it's absolutely annoying!

I had a person I trust check it out and stated that he pulled a code P0442 (Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)). Apparently I searched around as this is not a good code to have due to the difficulties of finding the leak (if any). What I've done so far is change the actual Gas Cap and of course that didn't work. So I'm planning on getting it checked again (EVAP test) to pinpoint the issue on my next service. I don't know how much these types of tests run, if anyone out there knows... please chime in..

If you search around there are many other LR owners who have this issue. Keep us posted on your outcome. TY

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
evaporative emissions systems pdf

Yes, the evaporative emissions system can be a bit of a challenge to figure out. Below is a link to a 6 page pdf that attempts to explain how it works.

As you referred to, a search of the various forums turns up threads related to problems with the system.

http://www.**************/gallery/a...Emmissions_4_4L_Description_and_Operation.pdf

Replace the ***** with disco3 co uk and put periods in the spaces - blocking you know.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know my problem spawned from keeping the fuel cap off too long... hopping it just goes away. :albertein

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try disconnecting and reconnecting your battery.

This has worked for me.

Sonies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this issue sometimes and its random, it will ususally just go away for some reason, usually after I fillup the tank all the way

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635