Fuel smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

777AIA

Reaction score
I have been chasing a fuel odor in my 2000 Disco 2. Checked lines, fittings, gas cap and tank.
Is there a relief vent on these D2’s? I haven’t found one...
Anybody else chased this problem down?
If it is sitting a while, I can smell it in the cabin. But for some reason not when driving (thankfully), and not ‘losing’ fuel from the tank. Getting 15-17.5 mpg!
Appreciate any thoughts...
70033f7430a190725da8ea884aa95f9d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a fuel smell on my 2005 and soon after the smell I got an engine fault for a leaking injector. If memory serves I smelt it when it was not running as well. I replaced the injector in question and pulled all the injectors and replaced the o-rings for all of them. Also cleaned all of them It sounded pretty daunting at first but it was not too bad after all.
I assume you have no CEL Check Engine Light on, and mine didn't either for a while while the smell was going on. But from your gas mileage you couldn't tell, mine was only getting 13 mpg at the time. Be aware the dash MPG is done from cumulative totals so I wouldn't count on that reading to tell me an injector is open.Got her up to 15 mpg shortly after changing out the open injector. Do you have a diagnostic tool? Something that can read your injectors. If its an open injector you should get an engine rich code on either bank 1 or bank 2. I would check the rich/lean situation somehow, pretty sure you'll need a code to show up to do that unless you have a more sophisticated tool than I did at the time. I had an Amazon Bluetooth ODB-II reader and an app I think InCarDoc and it actually told me there was a misfire on #5 cylinder, By that time the vehicle was running like $%() so I knew I had an issue.
I bought an injector puller off of #bay for about $15, however I did the job before it got there, so IMO a puller is not needed, if this turns out your issue.
Sorry I couldn't be more good news. If a code does show, go to Advance and get them to read, but this will be a generic code, not a LR specific code. I think mine was a PO0301.

Sorry for all the words, but I suspect an injector if you can't find a leak. But that;s just based on my limited experience. Good Luck if you find a code maybe I could be more help.

777AIA

Reaction score
Thanks. Will chase that down and see what I find...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jimbox

Reaction score
Is there any visible leakage under the car? Under the engine area? Toward the rear, under the fuel tank and filler area? That might help narrow the possibilities.

Grumpy

Reaction score
My 1995 Disco 1 had a leak in the fuel inlet hose, evidenced by no pressure as I released the fuel cap. (My 2001 does not build pressure in the tank so they are different animals). Shortly after, no pressure and smell of gas again after tank fill. I found it was the vent hose. Bored a 4" hole through the cargo deck with bi-metal bore to access rather than dropping the tank, replaced the hose and taped the plug back together with HD aluminum tape. Not a professional job, but it took an hour and was done three years ago.

Grumpy

Reaction score
My 1995 Disco 1 had a leak in the fuel inlet hose, evidenced by no pressure as I released the fuel cap. (My 2001 does not build pressure in the tank so they are different animals). Shortly after, no pressure and smell of gas again after tank fill. I found it was the vent hose. Bored a 4" hole through the cargo deck with bi-metal bore to access rather than dropping the tank, replaced the hose and taped the plug back together with HD aluminum tape. Not a professional job, but it took an hour and was done three years ago.

Grumpy

Reaction score

Grumpy

Reaction score
Sorry, multiple postings. I'll blame it on Belize. (Not really. I didn't realize it had been sent).

Scanachi

Reaction score
You might wanna check your fuel pump... or your fuel filters.

not seeing any standing fuel will definitely make it more challenging to locates.

Good luck!

777AIA

Reaction score
Thanks. No leaks under car, not fuel pump, not filter, not vent nozzle I found.
Now following fuel lines and will see where they lead!
Will be ‘working from home’ starting next week to help stop C19, so maybe I’ll have extra time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV