Fuel Line Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

medman61

Reaction score
Hoping to get an idea of cost. My 2010 LR4 V8 just stopped on the road a couple days ago, trying to restart I smelled gas, got out and looked underneath and gas was spraying from underneath the engine area. Key off it would stop, key on it started spraying again. Had it towed to Land Rover dealer the next morning. They called today and said replacement of fuel lines and fuel pump would be $3900 dollars!!! I asked why the fuel pump was being replaced and he said mechanic recommended while doing the work to do that too. I was pretty sure that fuel pump is in gas tank and obviously working with key on. Asked if he could get price for lines only replacement. He called back later and said $2100 to just replace the lines, estimated 11 hours of labor.
This sounds really high to me and I have previously had the dealer quote ridiculous prices for other repairs, eg brake discs and pads replacement $4500, when I got it done for $500 plus 900 in parts I ordered myself. However, there are VERY few places that will work on a Land Rover locally.
Hoping to get an idea of cost and time involved, could probably do it myself but so far have been unable to find the replacement lines anywhere else. LR4 still sitting at dealer awaiting my decision.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know too much about it but they are likely talking about the high pressure fuel pumps (there are two, each driven off the cams I believe). There is a low pressure fuel pump in the tank I think and then a high pressure pump on the engine. These are direct injection engines. Maybe try pricing hpfp replacement.

medman61

Reaction score
BP - OK, so pump in fuel tank is about $350, but is obviously working well as fuel is spraying on ground under engine - no need to replace. If two hpfp s are needed I found those between $100-150 each, one for each side of engine, however as far as I know they are working as well, just not getting fuel as line is cut/broken. Unfortunately cannot find anyplace on line that can give me a price on the fuel line(s) - told by service manager that there are two, one high pressure and one low. Did not tell me which is broken. I realize the economies of replacing other parts when in there but this LR4 is now 9 years old, its value is quickly decreasing and there comes a time that it is not worth fixing everything. In last year I have spent almost 6000 to replace timing chain and one of its bearings that went bad. 1500 for the every 2-3 year brake overhaul, 3000 to fix suspension issue at right front.
I just do not want to spend the money on something that doesnt need to be fixed and may last for another 100,000 miles. And I have no idea how much time it truly takes to replace the fuel lines - cannot even find cost for parts.
Appreciate your input!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could just ask the service guy for the part numbers.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how does a fuel line fail?

and yes at some point in these vehicles lives an owner better know how to turn some wrenches or the bills become unjustifiable. It is why you find 2006 7 series BMWS in the wreckers..

medman61

Reaction score
Not really sure what happened, it was 11 oclock at night on a twisty one lane road and 25 degrees outside. Never got a look at where exactly it was leaking and tow truck took it to dealer who is an hour away.

medman61

Reaction score
I would consider doing it myself if I knew what I was getting myself into, but the dealer saying it was an 11 hour job has me a bit leery, certainly a lot more than fixing lines on my old Austin Healey Sprite

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean, paying a dealer 1500 for brakes when it couldn't be easier to do it yourself on an LR4 would be a good start if you are looking to delve into DIY.

If there's a leak in the fuel lines themselves, it's probably at a joint or union somewhere. I'd find it hard to believe a line would just spring a leak somewhere in the middle absent some other condition like another object rubbing against the line. This could be something where the LR recommends replacing everything as a matter of course, when all you really need is a new section of metal tubing or something. See if the service guy can get specific and tell you what's going on, or maybe even send you an email describing the issue, the work that needs to be done, and the parts needed to do it.

medman61

Reaction score
The 1500 for the brake job was 900 for parts kit from Rover parts - discs, pads, etc and 600 for local mechanic to do the job. Dealer wanted 4000 to do the same thing! For me it was worth it to pay local guy to do it for 600. Second time it had to be done since new, first time I was naive and let dealer (different one) convince me only they could do it and it was $4500.
I would love to do the fuel line myself, but once again even after I told service department that I did not want to replace things that were not bad he quoted me $2100 which includes 11 hours labor just to replace the two fuel lines.
I will try to get service manager to be more specific, will not let me talk with mechanic

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM