fuel tank skid plate/mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonykudj

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2010 lr4 with 60k miles. the one major issue the mechanic found during the 3rd party inspection was that due to the salt that we commonly use in the Chicago area the skid plate that protects and holds the gas tank up was rotting away due to rust. he suggested that I get that fixed right away and to check if there was a possible recall. there is a LR dealer at the end of my block but I can't get them to call me back and i have been trying for 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was a recall on this part and if there were better replacement pieces that will hold up better to the elements and the salt yet still protect the gas tank during occasional off road trips?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may help if you took a picture of what you are talking about. To my knowledge, there is no factory skid plate that protects the gas tank. There are several aftermarket options, however.

On every LR4 I've seen, the gas tank is just there and open to the elements.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps he was referring to fuel tank mount brackets... Ryan is right, unless the previous owner installed an aftermarket skid plate, there isn't a factory one protecting the fuel tank on the LR4. It is quite vulnerable down there.

The corrosion warranty on the LR4 is 6 years / unlimited mileage. However, it applies to the body shell and panels only, not to bolted components. And corrosion due to road salt would probably not be covered anyway, even if you were still under factory warranty coverage (which you are not.)

PS: Don't remember any recalls or TSBs regarding the fuel tank mounts (only ones I remember were issued for inaccurate and defective / erratic fuel gauge senders inside the tank), but I'll double check.

Last edited:

tonykudj

Reaction score
Good info! does anyone know what the replacement part# is or what it runs and what the install consists of? Also any suggestions on skid plate additions?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found this old thread when looking for fuel tank skids. Now i had the car up on the rack to look at the LCA's and was doing an assessment of my skid plate situation. there is an original fuel tank "skid" under there. https://landrovermerriamparts.com/p...iteid=215719&vehicleid=414447&diagram=7117595
on that diagram it shows a lower, upper, and front shield. It felt steel to me. I am sure it is not as robust as a tactical or something, but is it adequate for offroading?

Also, I have an asfir sump and diff and compressor skid and also had an Asfir transfer case one (but it didn't fit). Is a transfer case skid really needed? It looks tucked pretty high up in there...

I am planning on tactical sliders but am wondering what else is really needed under there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM