Fuel Tank Skid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a pretty good dent. I have seen a few with problems with less of a dent. Mostly gage problems but one with pump issues.

x2. Sean, that's a pretty good deformation right there. Sorry to say it, but I think you are looking at a pricey fix. Tanks cost around 1BTU (1 basic toy unit = $1,000)

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya things aren't looking good from the pic. Now if my fuel tank seems to be accurate is there any reason why I'd swap the tank out? I'd hate to have the car die again buried in the wild but I $1,000 is a bit much to pay for the insurance that it won't happen again if all other signs are OK....

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR Newport Wants $440 for labor plus $1100 for the tank itself. Can I install the tank myself?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, doing the tank yourself is probably not too hard for you if you've already done the skids and so forth yourself. You'll want a floor jack and a third hand though.

In my case, I drove for about a month with my worst deformation (no photo), until one day it just died on the freeway. That was when the fuel pump tipped over or came loose from its internal mount. My other tanks just gave periodic errors from the fuel sender, showing full tanks when it wasn't. I learned to keep up with the tripometer pretty good. Resetting at every fuel fill. So you can probably live with it. It will help significantly if you tank off the tank skid, pound it flat and reinstall. I'm willing to guess that it will solve most if not all your problems for the short term. That's what I did with my third tank :)

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright when she empties out I'll get some good therapy beating that plate flat again and cross my fingers. Then I'll just hope I coincidently couldn't get it started due to the altitude as you mentioned, wishful thinking but we'll see if I get lucky for once!

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI I contacted Hi Country and they say if we put a note in the order informing them it needs to work with the Rasta T-Case plate and the sliders, they will customize and send it as such.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sushisean, I was in your shoes for the last 8 months needing some kind of "fix" for a dented up gas tank skid. Happy to say the Hi Country tank skid does fit with my option 2 RS sliders with no modifications. Just be sure to specify when ordering. The t-case skid was a different story but was still do-able.

The t-case skid was a different story but was still do-able . . . . what does THAT mean?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The t-case skid was a different story but was still do-able . . . . what does THAT mean?

The holes in the tranfer case skid did not line up properly so we had to drill new holes
in order to fit. So the T-case skid did need a slight modification as opposed
to the tank skid.

Last edited:

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The holes in the tranfer case skid did not line up properly so we had to drill new holes
in order to fit. So the T-case skid did need a slight modification as opposed
to the tank skid.

LOL mine lined up just fine, but the bolts they sent were too short!

Cheers
John

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so this will be an adventure - something to look forward to, yes?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4