GAP TOOL USES SURVEY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parker Freeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although the tool is kind of pricey, I have used it for a number of configuration changes. Had an issue with it syncing up and giving me all the values in the Android app by Patrick sent me a different firmware build and it seems to have resolved the issue.

Thanks to all for the readout on commonly used configuration changes.

Next step is to buy it the second license so I can get readouts from my son's evoque.

x463

Reaction score
Things I have have done with the tool:
*added towing hitch and harness and turned on all the towing features with the tool
*Raised height
*Monitored and reset faults that happen from time to time
*Turned spare wheel TPMS sensor off
*Changed headlight to 'always on' when car is in drive
*Input wheel dimensions for accurate speedometer/odometer

And... my favorite: Programmed a used keyfob in less than a minute.

What year is your truck? Turning the spare TPMS has no effect on my 2010. Get the warning at startup even though the functionality was disabled.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck? Turning the spare TPMS has no effect on my 2010. Get the warning at startup even though the functionality was disabled.

You're not the only one. I have a 2013, same as you. As I said elsewhere, the warning is brief enough that it doesn't bother me at all - I am used to it.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my IIDTool for 1 main purpose - to be able to lower my LR3 to the bump stops to make it easier for my 89 year old mother-in-law to get in and out (and my dogs in back as well). I also turned of the TPMS and have checked some random codes here and there. I was really hoping I could turn off the "follow me home" lights on my LR3 (they do not even exist on the RR) but no luck:(

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reset transmission adaptations

Display digital speedometer readout

Adjust speedometer correction factor for varying tire diameter

Calibrate suspension after sensor replacement

Place into "tight tolerance mode" for alignment

Adjust suspension height at each corner

Save 2 different suspension height settings for easy recall

Dump all air from the suspension to put the truck on the bumpstops

Re-flash ECU's.

That is just off the top of my head.

There are a ton of useful features built into the tool.

Patrick has also been very responsive to technical inquiries in my experience.

"Adjust speedometer correction factor for varying tire diameter"?

Very interesting, I did not know that. Why would they offer this option and allow this to be adjusted if the overall diameter stays the same with the varying rim/tire size combos offered by the factory?

Also, "Place into "tight tolerance mode" for alignment": What does that really do? And is it something that must be done if you get your alignment done at a non-LR shop? I got my alignment done at a local tire shop which is pretty high end, up to date with latest tech equipment, and often take care of prestige brands including LR, but I don't really remember them hooking up my LR4 with any OBD tool before they did the alignment.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Adjust speedometer correction factor for varying tire diameter"?

Very interesting, I did not know that. Why would they offer this option and allow this to be adjusted if the overall diameter stays the same with the varying rim/tire size combos offered by the factory?

Also, "Place into "tight tolerance mode" for alignment": What does that really do? And is it something that must be done if you get your alignment done at a non-LR shop? I got my alignment done at a local tire shop which is pretty high end, up to date with latest tech equipment, and often take care of prestige brands including LR, but I don't really remember them hooking up my LR4 with any OBD tool before they did the alignment.

For your first question, I would assume different diameter wheel/tire combo's are probably fitted in different markets around the world. In the IID tool menu structure you will see various options relating to different market. I have no firsthand knowledge on this, but that is my guess.

On question 2, again, I don't have a technically correct answer for what it does. From years of reading the forums, I deduce that it limits the adjustments made to each corner of the air suspension, thus keeping the suspension geometry closer to a "neutral" setting while the alignment is being performed. As an extreme example, suppose you parked your LR4 where one wheel was on a curb, and all others were on level pavement. The suspension ECU will attempt to compensate for that and level the truck within the limits programmed into it. Obviously you wouldn't want an alignment performed while that suspension geometry was present.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just started using mine. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do.
I did use it to clear some tpms codes recently and my favorite thing so far is raising the height
a couple of inches and saving that for off road use. I was surprised at how much those two inches gave
when climbing some rocks in Moab.

pceresia

Reaction score
I've been intrigued by the GAP IID Tool thread and the possible ability to alter several vehicle "quirks" that the system menu doesn't seem to allow the owner to control. The comments from thread participants are encouraging but at ~ $500 for the device, I'm still waffling re purchase and hope that more folks will comment on things they've been able to do with this device.

For Catman, is the vehicle lowering on shutoff now a permanent event? If so, I would find this very useful.

For those that have altered the height extension, can you get to the super or super super extension height shown on some of the youtube videos and if so is this a permanent change? - my 2016 LR4 HSE Lux came with running boards and from past experience sadly know that offroading and running boards don't go well together.

Will the device allow you to alter the infotainment and navigation systems in any way? Could I mirror my iPhone on the screen even though I don't have Car Play installed? Will it allow me to somehow install Car Play?

All that to say, I hope folks keep posting their accomplishments with this device.

Cheers, Pat

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got mine and have only had a short time to play with it. Changing ride height is great and being able to store pre-sets for that.

I was kind of shocked with all of the fault codes though. I have a long list that I haven’t gone through in detail. Mine is a 2012 with about 80,000 and just had a very thorough service done in it by a reputable independent LR shop. Many seem to be around voltage vein out of range. Assume most are not important but it’s a good long list.

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got mine and have only had a short time to play with it. Changing ride height is great and being able to store pre-sets for that.

I was kind of shocked with all of the fault codes though. I have a long list that I haven’t gone through in detail. Mine is a 2012 with about 80,000 and just had a very thorough service done in it by a reputable independent LR shop. Many seem to be around voltage vein out of range. Assume most are not important but it’s a good long list.

I have also noticed the many minor codes: amp, left-door speaker, etc. I think it may simply be related to resting voltage of the charging system, and the fact the vehicle sits in accessory mode, then starts, then shuts-off while reading/clearing/modifying with the IIDTool. None of those minor background codes seem to be legitimate as everything still functions. I have never taken a multimeter to the system, just a hunch?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut