Gas Leak at Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was straight forward. The only issue I had was with the rear fuel return lines and getting them released above the axle so I could fully drop the tank. I did better on time the second time around.
Are you able to release the lines before lowering the tank, or do you have to lower it slightly to get clearance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Operation “Fuel Transfer” has started. The new part showed up without a new seal! Anyone know if you can buy the seal separately somewhere? I definitely don’t want to do the job twice.

ae73b53b6b03691ab6c3a16ca64779dd.jpg

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Operation “Fuel Transfer” has started. The new part showed up without a new seal! Anyone know if you can buy the seal separately somewhere? I definitely don’t want to do the job twice.

dealer will have it. I got mine from rock auto.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ae73b53b6b03691ab6c3a16ca64779dd.jpg

Here you go

Fuel Pump Assembly O-Ring - Land-Rover (LR117476)

99% sure this is it.

Stu.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dealer will have it. I got mine from rock auto.
Be careful with Rock Auto. They sell a massive amount of no-name, off-brand offshore parts of poor quality. And some of their name-brand stuff has proven to be counterfeit, like some Bosch ignition components... Bosch's response to this was "Rock Auto is not an authorised Bosch distributor, don't buy Bosch parts from them".

I buy some items from Rock Auto, but for something as critical as a gas tank seal, I'd go with OE/Genuine. YMMV, etc.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with Rock Auto. They sell a massive amount of no-name, off-brand offshore parts of poor quality. And some of their name-brand stuff has proven to be counterfeit, like some Bosch ignition components... Bosch's response to this was "Rock Auto is not an authorised Bosch distributor, don't buy Bosch parts from them".

I buy some items from Rock Auto, but for something as critical as a gas tank seal, I'd go with OE/Genuine. YMMV, etc.

I’ve bought plenty off of rockauto for years. I bought the cover and seal (both branded VDO). Some things should always be replaced with OEM, a rubber gasket doesn’t need to be.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve bought plenty off of rockauto for years. I bought the cover and seal (both branded VDO). Some things should always be replaced with OEM, a rubber gasket doesn’t need to be.
Rubber parts are one thing I don't cheap out on. There is a drastic difference between some OE/Genuine rubber suspension components, and aftermarket rubber copies. The latter often reeks of Harbor Freight. Anything safety related, I don't buy based on lowest price or convenience, especially if it's a lot of work (i.e., dropping a fuel tank) to re-do the job later on. But, to each his own.

:musicus:

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the seal from Atlantic British, I hope it’s OEM.

As for dropping the tank, can it be done if extended height, or will I need to get it up on some ramps for clearance?

Seal will be here tomorrow, planning on pulling the tank tonight.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New seal showed up this AM, and I got it done, was pretty straight forward. Only thing that was difficult was getting that long hose out and back into its spot in the back near the spare tire. The tank is quite an awkward size so raising it back into place was tricky. I drained all the fuel, actually ran out right before I put it in off-road height, so I had to add a little more.

Checked for leaks, so far so good.

74be4e6f4f17c9b606335f9d7edcd451.jpg

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there no secondary fuel filter? Just the one in the tank?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA