Gas Tank Lid Lock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I hope you all had a great long weekend! I just have a quick question. Does the gas tank lid lock when you lock the car? The other day I was washing the car and noticed that I could open the lid to access the gas tank whether or not the truck was locked or unlocked? My previous cars it locked when I locked the car - is it supposed to do that for the LR4?

Thanks!

-David

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the manual, it locks with the car. According to my truck...it doesn't. I end opening it every time I wash the truck.

Not the first place that I've seen the manual be wrong.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I hope you all had a great long weekend! I just have a quick question. Does the gas tank lid lock when you lock the car? The other day I was washing the car and noticed that I could open the lid to access the gas tank whether or not the truck was locked or unlocked? My previous cars it locked when I locked the car - is it supposed to do that for the LR4?

Thanks!

-David
Mine does not seem to lock either. Never paid attention before.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover decided not to include this option for US models due to economical conditions. They felt if you are wealthy enough to own a Land Rover then you are wealthy enough to have your gas tank siphoned.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover decided not to include this option for US models due to economical conditions. They felt if you are wealthy enough to own a Land Rover then you are wealthy enough to have your gas tank siphoned.
Hey Count,

I actually believe you! :) hehe! I do think it's rather silly they do not have it lock. Weird!

-David

h8cold

Reaction score
anyone think of a way to lock it? Trying to come up with something myself.
Thanks

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score

LOL, I believe you're correct!

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
h8cold, I have not looked into this at all but your most practical option would be buying a keyed gas cap. Perhaps your dealers service dept can look up the parts that are missing from our trucks compared to the uk market trucks and order them. Sounds expensive though. Who knows, maybe it's something simple and easy.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing. This has been in the manual since 2005 when I had my LR3. There was no way to add it, as the body harness didn''t have a pigtail to tie the lock actuator into.
Neither does the LR4.
As for a locking cap, that's been tried. There is no stock listing in the US through LRNA. We have seen some aftermarket and with evaporative emissions system and all the specialized venting, we have removed a few of those for turning the service engine light on.
The lack of locking fuel door/and or cap remains a mystery...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112