gearbox fault ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E

ecw31180

this is really wierd. I was driving home from downtown, a 6 mile drive when my car mysteriously shut off driving into my driveway. I cranked it for like 60 seconds and it refused to fire. So i pushed it up the rest of the way , and got up in the morning and it started right up. I drove it for like 3 miles and, same thing it died and refused to start, (although the engine was cranking with no lag), and i got a gearbox fault. So i towed it home, next morning same thing, started right away. So i called the dealership and told them the symptoms and he told me bad alternator, so i got up and replaced the alternator and checked the battery it reads 13.4 across the terminals. So i drive it around my neighborhood, and 2 miles latter same thing, garbox fault, car dies refuses to start any help appreciated thanks.

eric wright

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds more like a fuel pump issue, check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail.... another thing that can cause gearbox fault is the MAF Sensor.... Unplug it and see if that helps.

E

ecw31180

Thanks for the input still same problem. Checked the fuel rail and its pressured up. They say gearbox fault is most commonly caused from not enough voltage at the gearbox, usually associated with bad battery or alternator. So i checked battery its good and replaced alternator. Still same problem after 2 miles it dies battery drops to 11.7 and it wont start. When it starts alternator puts out 14. and 13.7 at battery at 1.8 miles battery reads 11.9 and alternartor puts out 12.4 volts. At 2.2 miles dead again car dies again. I checked alterantor again it tested good so i dont know whats going on i guess hes going into hell tommorrow, errhh.. i mean the shop :)

E

ecw31180

So i took the rangie into the shop finally, and figured out what was the problem. A wire in the charging system shorted out, dropping voltage from 14-6. This caused the alternator to blow voltage regulators in 3 different alternators, and short the wire going to the icm and the icm, costing around $1500 in parts and labor :)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch, sorry to hear that.... but at least it is fixed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM