Gearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks for everyones help and putting up with all my questions!

I need to know the max size tire I can run without needing to re gear. I know I can run a 235/85 and not re gear but it will be way sluggish so I'm looking for the biggest size while keeping most my power and torque.

Thanks

Justin

D

discomike

Justin,
See if you can find another D1 or 2 with 265's or larger and drive it, this is one of those questions that only you can answer based on what you want out of your truck.
You know I regeared due to my 265's and it made a world of a difference, you may on the other hand be OK with the tallertires and gears.
Otherwise stay with a 245 and compromise.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am satisfied with my 265's and no gears.

D

discomike

For the type of trails and performance I want from my truck, I wasn't happy.
I found the taller tires cost me too much gas mileage and power and off the road, I had to run lower gears to not put so much strain of the tranny.
It is just all personal preferences. Hey, I am still trying to pull a little more power from my truck, looking at chips and exhaust work now.
Take care Sam,
Mike J.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Well, I think the current power the rovers put out is barely acceptabel as it is. So maybe the 245's are the way to go until I can afford gears.

D

discomike

245's are great when driven with some knowledge, You'll do well.
Mike J.

R

rovrjnky

Don't go to 235/85's unless you have $1000 to regear!!!!
I know from experience....

G

Gotrovr

My D1 is running 265's with 3.80 R&P ratio (Ashcroft, UK) or (GBR, Utah)

Tach is ~2,500 rpm at 65 mph

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Gotrovr:

I can't seem to find 3.8 Gears with the supplied manufacturers. How much did you pay for them?

Thanks

Justin

M

marc olivares

3.8 gears from GBR? HMMM, you sure about that?

by the way GBR 4.1 gears are in as of this week, and yes justin, if you have the money the gears are very worth it on a vehicle with 32" tires or larger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM