Good idea to use Continental 4x4 Contact in snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Canada this winter.
A) Continental 4x4 Contact with chains
B) Get a set of new snow tires.

A new set of Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter Tires cost $950. But I'm in southern California, no use after the 6000 miles trip.

So, please give me some feedback about the 4x4 Contact in snow.

Thanks.:biggrin:

AAN

Reaction score
Here in Europe, 4x4 Contact is an "All Season" tire, thus should be OK with snow. You can check that it is true in your case, if the tire (on the wall of the tire) has a snowflake or M&S marking, this shows that the tire is "All season".

Of course this is European markings, I am not sure it is same in the the States or not.

Regards

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't describe what type of trip this is. If you will be driving 6k miles and spending months in the backwoods, then snow tires would be logical. HOwever, if you are just driving from CA to Canada and will be staying at hotels, main roads, etc., normal M&S rated tires are fine.

I did a similar thing. Each year I drive from TX to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan in late December and spend two weeks camping in the snow, in a tent. I initially questioned if I would need snow tires. After the Ranger laughed at me, and I have made multiple trips, no, no I didn't. I drive 3k miles on each of these trips, but most of it is expressway getting from TX to MI. Mostly on drive roads.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
M+S will be OK in Western Canada

I assume that you will be travelling up to Western Canada, the Prairies, or BC, as opposed to Eastern Canada and more specifically Quebec.

If you were travelling in Quebec, that Province now requires tyres with the snow flake symbol in the winter months. I doubt this applies to "out of State" vehicles, but I do not know.

Elsewhere, regular all season, (well even summer), tyres are legal. On the highways in the Rocky Mountains, for the most part, summer tyres in the winter months are not OK, but All Season or M+S is OK.

I run Dunlop M+S 18" on my 3 in winter here in Alberta which is much like Montana.

Chains, you will not need, as if you did, the roads are already blocked with spun out semis. If you wait until about 10:00 am before you get on the road in the mornings, for the most part, the roads have cleared somewhat from the morning traffic so tend to be OK. You can drive till about 10:00 PM usually before the roads start to get slippery again, but stay off them early in the morning.

If there is a blinding snow storm, find a motel, go to the bar, and wait it out. The next morning after a storm is most often always bright, sunny, and crisp - a pleasure to drive and often free of all but cars still in the ditch from overnight. Driving ahead of the snowplows on fresh fallen snow is very quiet and actually quite pleasant in a full time AWD. If it is cold enough, the snow in the trees will be sparkling like a thousand jewels.

The 3 has a great heater(s), (at least the cold climate spec ones), so you will be nice and warm; the defrost fan works well and if you have the electric heated windscreen, you will be able to use it in the mornings. Also bring along a corn broom to sweep the snow off.

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pirelli's seem to be the tyre of choice around here.

Okay in light snow, poor in heavy snow or ice, according to this survey on TireRack
Yes, the general feeling is that the Continental sizes for the LR3 are not the best snow tyres out there. It seems that various flavours of the Pirelli are more in favour.

This is a bit odd as usually here Continental is good and Pirelli, not the best. What for certain you do not want to be on is the Goodyear Wrangler HP that came standard with the 3, at least here in Western Canada. They are great summer tyres 4 months a year, OK for 2+2 months and dangerous in the winter 4 months.

My thinking is that if you already have the Continentals, run with them. Ice is slippery when warm and wet and nothing much changes that. Deep snow can be a problem once you high centre; clumps of frozen snow will knock out your rad and transmission cooler if you go off the road and the plastic tow hook cover lets go - which it will.

If you really want to spend some money, buy a bash plate for the front underneath, a couple of clevis hooks, and a 3" x 30 ft tow strap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink