Halogen to Xenon headlight swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a set of HID lamps and a harness from www.westcoastrovers.com. Cost a bit over $300. They are not OEM, but they work awesome. No brand name on the box. It was plug and play into the existing harness, just needed to plug in the "included-with-the-kit" ballast system. Probably the best, most useful modification I have done to my truck. The difference, is literally, night and day :)

Agreed Nathan, I am amazed at the difference between the HID and halogen. Currious if you still find your Fog's valuable with the new lamps? If so Would you reccommend getting the LR OEM or Hella or IPF?
Thanks!
Charles

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan by fogs = meant driving lamps. sorry

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods

went to the site you provided, then to their ebay store.. didnt see the products mentioned nor did i find anything else they are currently selling.

care to enlighten us on the product you are using maybe if you feel ambitious:biggrin:... some images and some details?

thanks!

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do find the fog lamps help especially in heavy snow fall situations. I've also noticed in heavy wet snowfall the snow will buildup on the front of the headlamps, so the fog lights come in really handy until you can pull over to wipe the damn snow off lol.. You'd think the headlamp washers would take care of it, but alas I've found they don't generally with wet heavy snow. :(

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went to the site you provided, then to their ebay store.. didnt see the products mentioned nor did i find anything else they are currently selling.

care to enlighten us on the product you are using maybe if you feel ambitious:biggrin:... some images and some details?

thanks!

Sorry, I can offer up none of those items, ambitious or not. I neglected to take any photos of the install. To aquire them, I called up Eddie at West Coast Rovers and said I want HID's on my LR3. He called me back a few days later and handed me a plain white box with two bulbs, two ballasts, and two plug in harnesses. It went together easy, except that I had to remove the air cleaner box on the passenger side to access the cap on the back of the lights. You could also easily remove the entire headlight assembly, but I can't because of my OEM driving lights, which block the grille, which block access to the screw for removing the lights. That's why I went in through the back of the lens assembly with the fixtures still in place.

Once the access to the bulb is made open, be mindful of the retention clip inside the lamp housing. It springs out with some velocity. Put a towel over the opening and catch that little bugger before it hides somewhere in your engine bay.

No, I find the OEM "off road driving lights" completely worthless, even if I didn't have HID. They are dim compared to a candle under a paper bag on a foggy day in the wind.

Randall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan i think converting those crappy rover lamps to HID would help its not terribly difficult. allodial i think the most cost effective option would be to convert your existing headlamp bulbs to HID there are a plethora of kits on ebay that are based off the original version of hella ballast i personally have had great experiences with these kits and so have a lot of my friends. i used them to convert my fogs and will soon be converting my hella 4000's. all you have to do to install these is plug the the kit into the old socket mount the ballast unit and put the new bulbs in. if you have any more questions feel free to PM me. the run about $79 bucks shipped.

Noah

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$79 to upgrade my OEM driving lights that are mounted to my bumper like this?

1661417579_7154e7f12d.jpg

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, nice. thanks fellas, yeah I might revisit you if i run into any issues, but from what you guys confirmed and the products show.. it looks like a simple and painless addon.

thanks again.

ps: i wondered why nwoods white lr ive seen sometimes didnt have the xenons but yet had every other possible addon.... now i know..

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazon.com: XenTec Slim HID Kit H7 5000K (white): Automotive

just order this setup, if anyone would like me to take a couple shots when i install let me know... although it looks retardedly simple, so i doubt anyone who can figure out how to log onto a computer would need additional instructions... but id be willing to humor those persons...

thanks again nwoods for the recommendation, this looks like the best and most cost effective solution to getting a brighter headlamp.

5280MCS

Reaction score
Thank you

Amazon.com: XenTec Slim HID Kit H7 5000K (white): Automotive

just order this setup, if anyone would like me to take a couple shots when i install let me know... although it looks retardedly simple, so i doubt anyone who can figure out how to log onto a computer would need additional instructions... but id be willing to humor those persons...

thanks again nwoods for the recommendation, this looks like the best and most cost effective solution to getting a brighter headlamp.

alrighty, Humor me please. I am debating either getting those OEM parts or go with aftermarket kits. so PLEASE take a few shots when you install those.
Thanks!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV