Halogen to Xenon headlight swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Halogen to HID(Xenon) swap

Ok, so I swapped out the halogen bulbs for an aftermarket HID (Xenon) conversion kit using the same halogen housing that came stock.

Total price was $130 for this kit ( Amazon.com: XenTec Slim HID Kit H7 5000K (white): Automotive ). I also would recommend the "SLIM" balast kits, there's not alot of space inside the headlamp for big and bulky balast kits.. One last thing, get the 5000k light bulb, its the brightest color.. the higher the number the less the actual light... unless you just want it to be gangster blue.

Took about 30 minutes to install (if you are familiar with how to take off the grill and light assemblies).

TOTALLY worth swapping!!! Not sure how much the photos do the swap justice, but the new lights are way brighter and is just what I was looking for (thanks nwoods!)

Tips:
I swapped out the hi-beam light with my halogen Silverstars since I had the light assemblies off the car.

The wires all match up color wise except the stock wires, which were red(or orange) and grey... I made the simple mistake of puting the red to (what I thought was red) and the grey to black..... this was wrong... had to reverse them for it to work.

Here are the photos, let me know if you have any questions. Overall very simple and worth the time/price.

photos 1 and 2 are the old Silverstar halogens and 3 and 4 are the HID Xenons. Keep in mind I used a crappy point and shoot camera that auto adjusts some, so the photos dont totally reaveal the true difference.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited by a moderator:

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres some more photos of the install. Along with what the HIDs look like while the older Silverstars are in the hi-beam location.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN1705.JPG
    DSCN1705.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN1712.JPG
    DSCN1712.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN1713.JPG
    DSCN1713.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN1715.JPG
    DSCN1715.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that picture 2 and 4 are the afters. I can tell that those two are brighter than the others based off the top of the garage door. You can definately see the top of the door a lot better. Good job and looks like it was totally worth the cost and effort.

Trevor

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that picture 2 and 4 are the afters. I can tell that those two are brighter than the others based off the top of the garage door. You can definately see the top of the door a lot better. Good job and looks like it was totally worth the cost and effort.

Trevor

correct, it is pretty obvious the halogens vs the HID/Xenons...

I highly recommend it.

5280MCS

Reaction score
Great job and look awesome!!
A question for you, what do you mean "I swapped out the hi-beam light with my halogen Silverstars since I had the lights off." ?

Once again, the pics are awesome and I am ordering a set soon...

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great job and look awesome!!
A question for you, what do you mean "I swapped out the hi-beam light with my halogen Silverstars since I had the lights off." ?

Once again, the pics are awesome and I am ordering a set soon...

The hi-beam light uses the same style H7 bulb as the headlight uses. Since I had bought the nicest halogen bulbs (Silverstars) i figured it would be smart to swap out the hi-beams generic brand bulbs with those nicer Silverstar bulbs.. I didnt want them to goto waste.

If you look in the 3rd photo down (hi-beam bulbs in my left hand) it shows where the hi-beam slot is and where I swapped the bulbs.

Last edited:

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the HID (came with the truck) but after seeing your pictures I will definately get the Silverstars to put in the Hi Beams. Looks like they make a pretty good difference.

Trevor

5280MCS

Reaction score
got it

wow... now I see what you were talking about... Hmmmm.. now my to do list is growing and my wallet will be thinner...
Once again, a great job and thank you for sharing it with us.

The hi-beam light uses the same style H7 bulb as the headlight uses. Since I had bought the nicest halogen bulbs (Silverstars) if figured it would be smart to swap out the hi-beams generic brand bulbs with those nicer Silverstar bulbs.. both are halogens but I didnt want those more expensive and brighter Silverstars to go completely to waste.

If you look in the 3rd photo down (hi-beam bulbs in my left hand) it shows where the hi-beam slot is and where I swapped the bulbs.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the HID (came with the truck) but after seeing your pictures I will definately get the Silverstars to put in the Hi Beams. Looks like they make a pretty good difference.

Trevor

The silverstars are just my old halogen bulbs... which run about 50 bucks for the set... what i installed was the HID Xenons for 130.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72