HD Package or not HD Package, how to know for sure using TOPIx

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't blame some of you for sounding confused. Up until a coup!e of years ago every LR4, regardless of trim, came standard with the full blown Terrain Response system and a transfer case with low range. Those were the good days. Locking rear e-diff was an unpopular extra cost option - and at $400 or so it was also quite a bargain since it included a full size spare, but few dealers ordered LR4s that way, as few owners requested a locking rear differential. The car was plenty capable without it anyway. I had to special order mine as I couldn't find a single one with HD Pack in the entire Western US back in 2013.

Effective MY2015 (I think), a year after yanking 2 cylinders and quite a few horses off a silky smooth, powerful and sweet V8 engine for their own ******** marketing reasons, Land Rover got comically cheap and made the 2-speed transfer case optional, along with the full TR program that includes Rock Crawl (can't really rock crawl without a low range...) They jacked up the price of the "new" HD pack and included 2-speed transfer case, TR with Rock Crawl and rear lockers (and full spare wheel) in it. They added some obnoxious side steps of questionable value to make it up (!) to owners and that's the way things are today. Luckily they haven't come up with a 2WD version of the LR4 - yet. Give them another year or two and they might. :-(

In other words, prior to MY15 you really had to pull up the detailed build specs, or slide under the car to check out the diff case itself and spot the actuator, to be 100% sure the car had a locking rear differential. Anyone can add a full size spare as an accessory, so that's no guarantee. As of MY2015 it is at least easier to tell: if you have low range and rock crawl mode switches inside the cabin, you also have rear lockers.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to check an LR for for the HD pack (locking rear diff) is to pull up the 4x4 info screen. If you have the standard truck, you only have a locker icon in the center diff. If you have the optioned HD pack with rear locker, there will be two locker icons; one center and one rear axle.

While it is also true the full sized spare only came optioned with the HD Pack, someone could have later fitted a full sized spare. You shouldn't rely on that 100% when shopping used.

The 4x4 info screen works every time.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not so fast... ;-) On 2010-2011s, the 4x4 info screen will display two locker icons - center and rear - even on vehicles with an open rear differential.

pearsth

Reaction score
By the way, with TOPIX you can also check for outstanding recalls. Shows up on the right. It also seems to show missed maintenance intervals, but that can be misleading as those can be done outside of the LR dealership.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, with TOPIX you can also check for outstanding recalls. Shows up on the right. It also seems to show missed maintenance intervals, but that can be misleading as those can be done outside of the LR dealership.

Looks like my LR3 is missing the 45,000 mile service. A little late now at 125k!

Xplorer

Reaction score
[QUOTE="umbertob, post: 166141, member: 6357

In other words, prior to MY15 you really had to pull up the detailed build specs, or slide under the car to check out the diff case itself and spot the actuator, to be 100% sure the car had a locking rear differential. Anyone can add a full size spare as an accessory, so that's no guarantee. As of MY2015 it is at least easier to tell: if you have low range and rock crawl mode switches inside the cabin, you also have rear lockers.[/QUOTE]

2016 LR4 SCV6: Low range: check, rock crawl mode: check, rear lockers : nope.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So rear locker was an additional option outside of the HD package (full size and 2 speed transfer case) on the later LR4s?

Reaction score
Hello all, resurrecting an old thread here. Did something change with Topix? I had used Topix and VinDecoderz a few year ago to identify an HD Package, but can't seem to get the data from these sources anymore. Topix will take the VIN but I don't see Vehicle Features to check for the Diff.

If this is operator error I sincerely apologize and feel free to call me lots of names!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One simple way on the LR4 is to look and see if you have a full size spare on an alloy wheel. In 2013 at least, that was only included on the versions with the HD package, including the locker diff.

My non HD 2010 has a full size spare. Of course I put it there. What is wrong with asking seller to fire up the off road screen and show the lock/unlock screen? Or a pic of the rear diff?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My non HD 2010 has a full size spare. Of course I put it there. What is wrong with asking seller to fire up the off road screen and show the lock/unlock screen? Or a pic of the rear diff?

Another pro tip to determine if a vehicle has the LUX package (2010-13) is to look for the front parking sensor button on the dash. Most ads have a picture of the dash so this is an easy confirmation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72