HDC Fault, Engine Fault, Special Programs Not Available, EPB Fault, and more HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... don't we all wish for honest and reliable machanics and shops that we do not hesitate to take our rigs to.

In your case, I would get it diagnosed quickly and make the repairs and stop guessing. Would like to know the cause. Good luck!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size Tires on that beast?

Is suspension lowering one of your issues?

Did you, or have you replaced your brake light bulb or bulbs recently?

Similar symptoms with lowered suspension has been worn front wheel sensor cable.

Car ever been in an accident?

Amber lights on are: Suspension, Brake, ABS, HDC and DSC.
In the info window it says that the HDC and special programs are not available. Also suspension is permanently lowered.

Theoretically that should show a fault on a reader which could potentially show up. The problem is usually so many different faults are thrown it can be a bit tricky to identify the culprit.

Before going crazy on the fuel gauge, it might be good to determine if it quit on it's own, or due to something being disturbed while investigating your other issues. If the gauge is intermittent, it could be tracked back to a bad wire, or sending unit. One fellow reported on fuel gauge issues, "Just got car back from dealers after another three day stay. Hopefully fault now found and cured. They found half chaffed wire under front o/s wheel arch which was also black and in poor state. Apparently power still getting through but occasionally a drop in voltage along the wire resulted in erratic gauge."

Beginning to sound like something in common among these symptoms.

McAnally

Reaction score
What size Tires on that beast? 265/60/18

Is suspension lowering one of your issues? Yes the suspension lowered and has not raised back up

Did you, or have you replaced your brake light bulb or bulbs recently? Replaced Reverse/Backup Light a little under a month ago

Similar symptoms with lowered suspension has been worn front wheel sensor cable. Can I visually inspect this?

Car ever been in an accident? Not to my knowledge

I'd just like to thank everyone for the help and support. I'll keep you guys posted every step of the way.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
McAnally, it's true that a volt meter could show a good charged battery but it could be low enough to throw faults. Read about it on here a few times and had it happen to me.

McAnally

Reaction score
6981039585_7f1f65eece.jpg

758 by McAnally5954, on Flickr

6981039407_2f631404c5.jpg

757 by McAnally5954, on Flickr

6981039165_4a3060f13e.jpg

756 by McAnally5954, on Flickr

Sensor wire looks good to me.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going with the battery. I have gone through 4 batteries in 7 years. The computers pull a lot from the battery all of the time, and it doesn't take much of a voltage drop to cause that. Then the faults start to multiply, because you never have enough voltage on system check during start for the computer to recognize that the fault didn't occur again. The computers are designed to clear after so many starts without duplication of the same fault, but when the battery is low at start, the fault just keeps reoccurring.

My money is on the battery.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To echo the sentiments here, the battery is usually a big culprit of the dreaded dash of errors. While it's something we generally check first, it's not always the issue. The HDC system relies on the ABS sytem, and the initial checks on startup really pull on the battery, so I've seen HDC faults appear on startup (with no other problems, other than the alert) usually in colder weather, signaling my battery is having an issue. I've seen the engine fault message appear due to a brake switch issue, and I've seen the others happen due to the left front wheel height sensor having issues. I've also seen really quirky problems with brake lights, where the bulb doesn't play well with the truck at all, and causes all kinds of fun problems. Ironically, I just had a brake light go out last night, and had an HDC and suspension fault this morning. My 06 is about to roll 100k miles, and this is the first time I've had an HDC fault/suspension fault that actually lowered the truck. It goes into the dealer Friday for it's routine oil change etc, so I'll have them replace the bulb while I'm there. I'm curious to see if that's what triggered my HDC/Suspension fault today.

McAnally

Reaction score
Well the problem is solved. We had our brakes and rotors changed out in October of last year, and the shop that did it put the calipers on incorrectly. This caused the brake line to dislodge and the ABS Sensor to float around until the wheel finally rubbed through it. Total cost for repair $145.81 $99.75 for Diagnostic/Labor and $42.75 for the ABS Sensor. All in all I'm relieved.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know! Who would have thought of that? LOL... Gald it's over :)

Vale

Reaction score
Thank you for the info everyone!!

Today I went and purchased a new battery for my 2008 Land Rover LR3!!.

I want to Thank everyone on this forum and all the instrumental information I received.

I had the HDC System not in service Light Blink on for the first time yesterday. and the Gas Cap warning as well the brake light started to blink and the word Park also turned on.. I GOT REALLY NERVOUS:hmpf:

I read this forum and the advise everyone had based on this issue yesterday and learned so much and put it to use..

I realized that it had to be the Battery..

1. The Battery is now about 4 years
2. The first thing was the gas cap not on, warning: lit up a few times and turned off 2 wks before this all happened, It was on and working perfectly so I ignored it and assumed maybe it may eventually need a new Gas Cap.

Yesterday
3. The HDC System not working waring turned on.
4. Then The Gas Cap Warning turn on again,
5. The Red Brake light turn on on the console shortly after.
6. The word Park started blinking fast on the console as well..

"All this in a matter of minutes as I was driving" I Freaked Out!!

I drove it home, it drove fine the whole time, Got on my home Computer and started to do research, Found you, and learned and found that this many warnings at once can only be the battery..

Got up this morning purchased the new Battery which by the way is not cheap for this 2008 LR3.. and now my car is back in order..

Thank You To All.. You saved me money and a big Head Ache..
Vale::hello:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72