HDC Fault, Engine Fault, Special Programs Not Available, EPB Fault, and more HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dennywijaya

Reaction score
I have 2007 Landrover freelander 2, buy a brand new 5 years ago, running almost 130k. But since 2 years ago, the car having many problems, from alternator, air conditioning and a years ago having HDC Faults message, sometimes the problem gone by itself. Yesterday I had same problem, having HDC Faults and the now car won't start...

I'm trying to find the solution through internet such as google and try one by one, but the car still wont start. battery replaced with a new one but still won't start. Sadly, Only one dealer in Indonesia and I live in different city with the dealer.

Now I really hate with landrover, I regret buying a landrover, my personal experince, landrover is an expensive car with cheap parts. Don't buy landrover. unreliable. Please read any landrover forums before buy landrover.

If you have a solution regarding HDC Faults, please email me to [email protected]

nsoudah

Reaction score
HDC Fault codes... It's the battery :)

Just thought I'd add my experience. The HDC fault codes appeared over the last few days starting with the amber light indicator. Yesterday, the light turned solid red. After reading all these threads... I checked the battery in my '05 LR3... original Interstate and 8 years old. Googled the battery and found an actual Interstate franchise store nearby where they tested my battery for free this morning.

Barely registering 8 volts and in the tech's words... "she's dead". Bought the new matching OEM battery... $185 and they installed for $20 (well worth it as they keep the car powered while changing batteries). So far so good... NO NEW FAULTS! And easily half the price of the dealer!

Thanks... hope this helps others.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interstate Mega-Tron Plus

I figure you were wise to put an Interstate Mega Tron Plus battery back in.

The internal design of that battery is compatible with the design of the regulator that Land Rover specs in the Denso alternator; as such, the battery charges about as well as the regulator design allows.

I wondered if you put the MTP-H8 or the shorter H7 size battery in? I ask as the LR3 is speced for the H8 however the dealers tend to install the slight shorter H7, (1 5/8" shorter), as it fits easier.

I have the MTP-H7 and it works fine, (LR dealer warranty installed), but I thought I would ask as to what you had installed.

Also keep an eye on your battery voltage as you may have an alternator on the way out - more correctly, a weak regulator but the solution is a new alternator so ..

nsoudah

Reaction score
Thanks for the info; I'll keep an eye out on the voltage... good to know that's what will cause the problem.

The Interstate guy did offer the lower H7 but I figured for the $28 difference, why deal with the hassle. He did tell me that they supply the LR dealership so I figured I'd go with whatever was in there before. If the guys at the dealership think the H8 is hard to install, they are lazy... took 15 minutes.

Thanks again!

nsoudah

Reaction score
Spoke too soon I guess. The light has come on twice this week but only in the Amber color. Anyone have any other suggestions on what could be causing these fault errors. I have read about a height sensor... where is it and how do you replace it? Thanks in advance!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which light is coming on?

If it is the battery light, keep an eye on the battery voltage when everything is off. Your battery is new so the reading should be about 12.4 VDC about 15 minutes after engine shutdown; less suggests the alternator is not satisfactorily recharging the battery, a sign of a regulator concern.

If it is a suspension light coming on, there should also be some error message as well. The message will not be an accurate message - will be something to mislead you, but whatever the message, it is a hint as to what it might be.

Messages such as Cruise Control not available infer a brake light switch or tail light bulb concern - that sort of thing - in other words, nothing related to the cruise control mechanisms.

nsoudah

Reaction score
It's not the battery light; have never seen that come on.

The message is "HDC Fault System Not Available"... and the amber colored light on the bottom left of the dash lights up; the one that if red tells you not to drive over 30 MPH. Thanks for the advice.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The link below discusses installing a new brake light switch; also the importance of having genuine LR bulbs in your tail lights and that all be working.

You just might see if all four tail light filaments and the two brake light filaments are functioning; also that all the filaments stand vertical.

With genuine bulbs, all filaments are vertical - it matters as when a vertical filament burns out, it tends not not drop across the other filament. If one filament crosses another, the computers do not know what to make of it so they invent problems or shut related or unrelated systems down.

As it turns out, Hill Decent is related to the brake lights as when Hill Decent kicks in, the brake lights normally illuminate even though you have not touched the brake pedal.

One easy experiment is just to remove all the brake and tail light bulbs or both rear assemblies and see if anything clears.

http://bit.ly/11MyYA6

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't bother with genuine bulbs but DO make sure the fils are vert

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV